Cancer? 9 year old cat isn't eating & has lost 1.6 lbs in 2 months - cancer?

Molly and Abby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello - all

My 9 year old cat isn't feeling well. First, she is seems lethargic. She is also doing "low cat" things - hiding under the bed or behind the dresser. This is unusual for her.

But I am concerned about her weight loss.

She has lost 1.7 - 1.9 lbs in 2 months. She is 10.6 lbs yesterday. I free feed the cats, so she can eat whenever she wants. She seems to have no appetite. She's not drinking a lot of water.

I took her in for an exam & anal gland expression yesterday. Her exam was normal. I also had blood tests & X-rays done. X-rays came back normal. Teeth are fine. Blood tests won't be ready until Tuesday.

I gave her topical Mirataz today. I hope it helps her appetite!

Could Molly have cancer? I am so worried.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Too soon to say. Has she been having any poop or barfing issues (including hairballs)? Sadly the blood tests may not be conclusive. If they don’t spot a reason for her lack of appetite and lethargy, the next recommended step would be an ultrasound. Ultrasound would be far more likely to visualize cancer than xrays or blood tests. I don’t want to speculate too much. It can be any number of things besides cancer and it may take a few more tests to determine what it might be.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Molly and Abby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also, Molly is totally & fully vaccinated - including Feline Leukemia. So I know it's not feline leukemia. And all my cats are indoor only.

Molly and Abby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Too soon to say. Has she been having any poop or barfing issues (including hairballs)? Sadly the blood tests may not be conclusive. If they don’t spot a reason for her lack of appetite and lethargy, the next recommended step would be an ultrasound. Ultrasound would be far more likely to visualize cancer than xrays or blood tests. I don’t want to speculate too much. It can be any number of things besides cancer and it may take a few more tests to determine what it might be.
One of my cats puked last week, but I don't know which one. I haven't caught her puking or having poop issues. No hairballs (& no mass showed up in the xrays).

She's fully vaccinated - including for feline leukemia.

I try not to worry - but of course, I still worry. I know my cat and I know she is not feeling well.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Understandable. The best thing you can do for her no matter what might be going on is to get nutrition in her. I have to get off my phone now. But there should be an article on this site about how to get a sick cat eating again.

Molly and Abby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have Mirataz topical ointment. (I have an unopened tube for an unrelated issue from last year) I will give it to her today. And Fancy Feast Gravy lovers.

But I know my cat is not feeling well. I am so worried.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree that there needs to be follow up on this, unfortunately. In the meantime, try to get her to eat. Gerber's baby food meats stage 2 sitters is often successful.

Molly and Abby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello - all

My 9 year old cat isn't feeling well. First, she is seems lethargic. She is also doing "low cat" things - hiding under the bed or behind the dresser. This is unusual for her.

She has lost 1.7 - 1.9 lbs in 2 months. She is 10.6 lbs yesterday. I free feed the cats, so she can eat whenever she wants. She seems to have no appetite. She's not drinking a lot of water.

I took her in for an exam & anal gland expression yesterday. Her exam was normal. I also had blood tests & X-rays done. X-rays came back normal. Teeth are fine. Blood tests won't be ready
I agree that there needs to be follow up on this, unfortunately. In the meantime, try to get her to eat. Gerber's baby food meats stage 2 sitters is often successful.
until Tuesday.

I took Molly in to the emergency vet and I am so glad I did.

She was diagnosed with pancreatitis. I am so glad I didn't wait until I heard back from my regular vet.

She is doing better with fluids, Mirataz & gabapentin.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pancreatitis rarely happens by itself. You should still plan on taking her in for an ultrasound to make sure that the pancreatitis isn’t just the tip of the iceberg. Make sure she eats even if you have to hand feed her. But make sure she eats enough even if you need to put a feeding tube in her. Don’t let her work this out on her own. Keep a journal of how many calories she’s eating and make sure she eats enough even if she gets 10 smaller supervised meals by herself instead of free feeding with the others. Food will be her best medicine. All the other prescriptions are there to support that goal of getting her to eat and keeping her eating. Finally, wet food will be so much easier on her pancreas than dry food. And it will keep her hydrated better than her water dish/fountain ever could.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello - all

I took her in for an exam & anal gland expression yesterday. Her exam was normal. I also had blood tests & X-rays done. X-rays came back normal. Teeth are fine. Blood tests won't be ready until Tuesday.

Def get her checked out, it could be a sign of a lot of things. I hope she feels better and it is nothing serious. Older cats can slow down and sleep more as well.

Molly and Abby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello - all

Good news - Molly is doing much better. The "senior" cat blood tests came back normal & the urine test was normal. But she did have pancreatitis (this was confirmed at the emergency vet hospital).

She is scheduled an abdominal ultrasound on Tuesday.

Thank you all for your support & warmth.