Canadians, boneless chicken thighs price?

my_money_pit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was watching a youtube video for a homemade recipe. The recipe is exactly the same as the one in Dr Becker's book.
I noticed that the label says 1.29$/lb which makes it a bit less than 4CAD/kg.

I get my chicken from costco and pay 16$/kg but it's boneless and skinless. Even tho it comes without both the skin and the bones, I still find it way too expensive specially that i'm getting it from costco.
So, I was wondering how much are other canadians paying per pound or kg of chicken thighs?

Edit: My daily cost for 2 servings is around 3.2$ CAD which is somewhat expensive. When I started making homemade food, I thought I will be saving a bit but that is not the case! :(

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know per pound but Walmart has a 2 for $22 deal on almost always and it's about 10 thighs or 10 breasts. But the chicken always looks like it's already gone bad. Whole rows of it.

Our food prices have skyrocketed. It's disgusting.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

my_money_pit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm Canadian, but since I'm vegetarian, I don't know the current meat / poultry prices. But I'm sure I see chicken pictured in the grocery ads pretty often, so maybe check the flyers every week. Or use Flipp – Flyers, Shopping List, Weekly Ads | Flipp
Thanks for the link. I looked around in the supermarkets close by and they all have the same pricing unless I buy something that is close to the consumption date which I wouldn’t do. I’m cutting cost by feeding pork. I wish I can find turkey for the same price as chicken or beef but it’s impossible. Turkey is so expensive:/

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've also noticed that food prices, especially meat and dairy, have been going up fast for the past several months. I'm mystified about why this isn't reflected in the reported inflation figures. There is simply no way to reconcile the prices that I see with the claim that overall costs are going up just 3% a year.

This didn't used to be the case, but I've found that ordering grinds from online suppliers is now cheaper than buying from the grocery. I've even ordered some of their products for myself, like the chicken thigh cubes or beef bones from Hare Today. Also, whenever I do find meat on sale at the grocery there's always a reason, like you open the package and smell rotting meat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

my_money_pit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've also noticed that food prices, especially meat and dairy, have been going up fast for the past several months. I'm mystified about why this isn't reflected in the reported inflation figures. There is simply no way to reconcile the prices that I see with the claim that overall costs are going up just 3% a year.

This didn't used to be the case, but I've found that ordering grinds from online suppliers is now cheaper than buying from the grocery. I've even ordered some of their products for myself, like the chicken thigh cubes or beef bones from Hare Today. Also, whenever I do find meat on sale at the grocery there's always a reason, like you open the package and smell rotting meat.
I prefer avoiding pre-ground meat to control the amount of fat my cat is getting. I hope costco puts meat on sale so I can grab as much as possible and hopefully save few dollars.
Looking at the cost of homemade food, I wonder how the quality of the store bought food will be affected. Sure they can pump the price but I am pretty sure the quality will also go down. Maybe it won't be clear on the package but they might start adding more fat, bones and organs to cut the cost.