Canadian Psycho

chromium blues

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Its been a long process integrating April into our household. Now that she's amongst the others and out and about in the house, she needs to be vaccinated against rabies. Why? Because one of these days she WILL bite someone, and I want to make sure we've covered our bases. (I don't know why the phrase "Don't touch that cat" is so difficult to understand.) Next month, she's going to the veterinarian.

Aside from alerting the veterinarian, is there anything to be done to make her appointment go smoothly? Feliway and the like do not work on this one.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, first you can make her carrier a place she is comfortable in. So when it is time to bring her to the vet, it will be a cinch putting her in it and avoid wasting time chasing her all over the house. In the meantime leave the carrier's door open all the time and put her favorite treats and toys inside. She'll likely start taking long naps in it. On appointment day, hopefully she will be calmer during the car ride and while waiting her turn at the vet's. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chromium blues

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Getting the cat in the carrier and to the veterinarian isn't a problem. She doesn't run away from me. I'm worried about her attacking the veterinarian.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm worried about her attacking the veterinarian.
Oh my...

I think vets have those big thick gloves to work with those kinda kitties. They remind me of the kind the big bird handlers wear for some reason. I forget which one of our kitties was absolutely ready to claw the vet tech to death (this was many years ago) but they told me don't worry about it, they have equipment. I had no idea what that meant, but that's when I saw the big thick gloves.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise

I'm worried about her attacking the veterinarian.
Oh my...

I think vets have those big thick gloves to work with those kinda kitties. They remind me of the kind the big bird handlers wear for some reason. I forget which one of our kitties was absolutely ready to claw the vet tech to death (this was many years ago) but they told me don't worry about it, they have equipment. I had no idea what that meant, but that's when I saw the big thick gloves.

I once had a very aggressive cat and they had it all sorted... just as long as they're forewarned. 

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise

I once had a very aggressive cat and they had it all sorted... just as long as they're forewarned. 
My vet was forewarned by the fact she was hissing in the corner and all her hair was standing up. I'd never seen my cat get like that before!

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise

Very true. Our Freya hated going to the vet and turned into what we affectionately called our "flying ball of claws and death." When they knew she was coming in, they had big, thick feral-cat handling gloves, extra wraps and had an extra vet-tech in there to help with her. As long as they were warned, they weren't even phased. My theory was that vets have always dealt with worse.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chromium blues

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Our veterinarian deals with a lot of feral (thanks to us). They usually sit still and play dead. April will be a serious challenge. I'm not sure what happened to that animal in her early days, but hands come at her and she freaks out. I spoke to the veterinarian about a muzzle. They may need a straight jacket.