Can Young Cats Jump Into Their Litter Box?

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So I've being using a DIY litter box for my cats for a while.

Their similar size to this:

Clear Storage Boxes - 26 x 16 x 14" S-14600 - Uline

I originally cut a hole into the bottom so the cats can just walk in. But it just seems that they always knock the litter out of the small hole. And while I've spent quite a bit on multiple mats catching it, they knock out a ton.

Just wondering if I could just make them climb over them? I know for older cats it could be a problem, but currently none of them are over 5. Thoughts?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I've been using the large boxes for years and have never cut down a side. The cats don't seem to have any trouble jumping in and out of the boxes.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use plastic boxes similar to that and they work well for most cats. Definitely cuts down on litter getting kicked out of the box.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've been using the large boxes for years and have never cut down a side. The cats don't seem to have any trouble jumping in and out of the boxes.
Do you put a lid on top with a hole cut out? I was going to have no lid on top, but not sure if that would give the cats a harder time.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use plastic boxes similar to that and they work well for most cats. Definitely cuts down on litter getting kicked out of the box.
Do you put a lid on top?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I don't use a lid. I like the litter boxes to have lots of air flow.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
No. No lid. I did have a couple of boxes with lids that had a hole in the top, but the kitties really didn't like them. They tried to stand on the edge and use the box without actually getting inside it.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah that was my thought as well. I clean the litter box to the point where I can put my face 3 inches away from it and find the smell fine, but didn't want to suffocate it just in case.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No. No lid. I did have a couple of boxes with lids that had a hole in the top, but the kitties really didn't like them. They tried to stand on the edge and use the box without actually getting inside it.
So like a toiled seat almost? But then does that mean they don't cover?

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My main concern with not using a lid is that they would then have to climb and get out on the edge of the box top, which doesn't have much space.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most cats really don't have a problem getting in and out of a box that size. I'm sure you have seen cats jumping in and out of boxes happily before :)

I actually started using the high sided boxes to keep young baby kittens out of mom's clumping litter, but even the small kittens learn quickly to jump in and out of the box.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Most cats really don't have a problem getting in and out of a box that size. I'm sure you have seen cats jumping in and out of boxes happily before :)

I actually started using the high sided boxes to keep young baby kittens out of mom's clumping litter, but even the small kittens learn quickly to jump in and out of the box.
Okay got it thanks!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
So like a toiled seat almost? But then does that mean they don't cover?
No, they didn't cover. Just jumped out as quickly as they could to get away from the stink. I did see Shareena a few times balancing on the edge and reaching down into the box with one paw trying to cover. It didn't go well for her, but it was cute.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No, they didn't cover. Just jumped out as quickly as they could to get away from the stink. I did see Shareena a few times balancing on the edge and reaching down into the box with one paw trying to cover. It didn't go well for her, but it was cute.
I would love to see that in video. You should post in on youtube, I'm sure you could get a ton of views. I've never heard of something like that before.