Can You Switch Cats Food Right Away If Old Food Is Making Cat Sick?

joyfulrose

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know you are supposed to slowly transition cats to a new food over several days/weeks. However, is it okay to switch food immediately if you find that the cats current food is making them sick? I was gonna mix in the new food with the old but I am worried about giving my cats any of the old food.

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
Is it wet or dry?
If dry, are they free-feeding?
If dry, I'd try transitioning other cats, but for the one that is getting sick from it just switch over. Hard to do if dry free-feeding tho..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

joyfulrose

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is it wet or dry?
If dry, are they free-feeding?
If dry, I'd try transitioning other cats, but for the one that is getting sick from it just switch over. Hard to do if dry free-feeding tho..
It's dry and I do free feed but each cat has their own bowl in different rooms. They are pretty good about eating from their own bowls usually. I do give them wet as well but I have a good feeling it's the dry food that is making her sick. Just a couple hours ago she ate some of her dry food then immediately after she made the noise she usually makes when she is about to throw up and she vomited and then fell over side ways. She has never fainted before in her life even when she has thrown up in the past, never did she fall side ways like this. It was a new bag of food too, I defintely feel something is not right with it. My other cats have not vomited or anything but they seem a little off as well since eating from this new bag of food.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Just a couple hours ago she ate some of her dry food then immediately after she made the noise she usually makes when she is about to throw up and she vomited and then fell over side ways. She has never fainted before in her life even when she has thrown up in the past, never did she fall side ways like this.
I don't want to worry you, but fainting in cats is not normal and can be indicative of a more serious health problem.

I suggest you take your cat to the vet for a check-up as soon as you can.

You can google Fainting in cats to give you some ideas of what it might be, but I've found that just makes you more confused. I think you'll save yourself a lot of anxiety if you take your cat to the vet to find out exactly what is causing this.

joyfulrose

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes I plan to take her to the vet asap of course! I just wasnt sure what to feed her tonight. I gave her some of the new food i was going to gradually switch her over to and she seems perfectly fine. She is eating and drinking and playing. Seems to be acting completely normal. It was just that one instance when she ate from her current old food and then vomited & then fell over side ways. it has never happened before that is why i worried something may be wrong with this bag of food.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Fainting can be caused by a variety of things from diabetes to a heart condition. I think it's really important that you get her checked by a vet quickly. It's unlikely to have anything to do with the food.

joyfulrose

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will be taking her to the vet tomorrow morning. I have also read that it could be diabetes or a heart condition.. Her most recent bloodtest did not show either. The thing that made me think it was from the food was it happened immediately after she ate, vomited then fell over side ways but a min later she was fine and her normal self again. She has vomited in the past when she ate from this same brand but she has never fainted before. So i just feel like this food is not agreeing with her. She looks and seems fine now... alert, playful, and normal appetite. But I am still worried it might happen again when I am asleep or something...

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I hope it's nothing too serious.

:crossfingers:

Please keep us posted and let us know what happens at the vet.