Can you spot treat ringworm?

ziggy'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, we've got ringworm. I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later. I've had it once many years ago but have been lucky and have not had to deal with it since. It started with my foster kitten and spread to two other cats. The kitten is being treated with medicated shampoo and it seems to be working fine. She has several bald spots, although it's still quite mild. The other two seem to have the ringworm localized to a particular area. One only has it on one ear and the other has it on her back. The kitty that has it on her back is a really feisty girl so I just can't see giving her baths like I'm doing with the kitten so I'm considering treating only the area where the ringworm is. I've clipped her fur in that area to make it easier to treat. I could bathe the other cat but I'm wondering if it's necessary when it's only on his ear?

Does anyone know if it's possible to spot treat ringworm on cats or if you have to treat the whole cat? Based on what I've read it seems that most recommend treating the whole cat but I was hoping someone here can speak from experience. Can I use Masaleb shampoo or lime sulfur dip to treat only the area affected?

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I spot treated several cats and a dog for ringworm before and they healed fine.  My cat Tiggles had it so bad she lost the majority of her hair so I had to do medicated baths for her using Miconazole shampoo.  The rest I just used Clotrimazole spray/ointment on their spots. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ziggy'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I will try spot treating them for a couple of weeks and see what happens. Worst case scenario I'll just have to start doing dips or baths with them. People with ringworm are spot treated so why not cats. right?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I did both, but if bathing is a huge issue, then try just the spot treating.

Good luck!

irinasak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
 I never bathed Sophie, only spot treated her. However, she was already undergoing treatment for a few weeks when we adopted her.

emme

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry to reply so late. I hope all has cleared up by now so you don't need any additional information.  My cat had it only on his ears and one tiny spot above his eye. I did not bathe or dip him.  I used topical miconosol, and used oral meds. First we used griseofulvin, which was a nightmare because of the amount I had to give him plus it had to be given with an equal amount of 100% corn oil.  We switched him to itraconazole after a while which was so much easier to give that I would do that first if I ever have to deal with this again.  Good luck!