Can You Name This Perfume?

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
A co-worker wears this popular (at least for the past 2-3 years) scent, whose name I can't remember), and it is STRONG. Another co-worker wore it 2 years ago and I had to ask her boss to speak to her (and the person didn't speak to me for a year because of it). It is so strong, it gives me a headache and now, a sore throat and makes my eyes water.

I often smell it on people in stores, etc., so it appears to be popular. I tried searching online, but I can't find the name. It has a musky, heavy scent. Does anyone know the names of very popular perfumes that have that kind of scent? Just throw out names, and maybe I will remember the name.Thanks.

Last edited:

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
My guess is Red. A co-worker wore it by the gallon. We couldn't be in the same elevator with her and she would stink up the hallway.

After a while, the nose stops smelling a scent, so the wearer, thinking it's worn off, puts on some more. Of course, there are those who think if a little bit is good, a whole lot is even better. Either way, the stench is overpowering.

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could it be Opium? It's not as recent as 2 -3 years but it's strong. People who wear it by the gallons should use cologne, less strong than perfume.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Calvin Klein fragrances tend to be really strong and have a very distinctive scent. I think Obsession is the strongest one, even a teeny tiny bit can be overpowering. I used to work with someone who wore it and she definitely overdid it. I am not someone who has a physical reaction to perfumes but I certainly didn't care for it because it was strong. His fragrances do have a musky, spicy scent to them.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I doubt it's Opium, unless she puts the whole bottle on, but I'm biased as it used to be my favourite perfume before I gave up on the whole idea.

I'm a yoga teacher and I ban perfumes from classes and retreats. They can be really disruptive.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Angel.
I LOVE perfume. I have a lot of it and always have. But that one? Awful. Heavy. Overwhelming. I have to run away from people wearing it, causes migraines.
Of course, it could be anything because people are all different in what they like to smell or not.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
ick. don't do perfumes. Why do people have to bath in these strong smells?

If one showers and puts a small dab on throat I would think that's enough. Shampoos have strong smells-that should be enough I would think. We had someone at work who used to wear a TON of perfume-I think someone said something to her because they don't leave a cloud of scent behind her anymore.

I think it was in style to do the perfume thing in the 1980s/1990s but now with less is more in many things then I think more people are opting for no perfume.

I used to wear lady Stetson. But my sinuses bother me all the time-it didn't help..so now I think everyone chooses to forgo the scents for those who have allergies. nothing worse than a migraine from smells. :rolleyes3:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I usually just use the scented shower gel and lotion from Bath and Body Works, my favorite is Japanese Cherry Blossom. I do have a bottle of Amazing Grace and I sometimes wear a little tiny bit of that. It is a light scent and goes well with the Cherry Blossom scent. It's been a long time since I have been around anyone who wears too much of a heavy scent, it was the thing during the whole Dress for Success big hair heavy makeup 80's.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
What bothers me, immediately aggravates my asthma, allergies and gives me a headache
is: Tresor and any of the Lancome Fragrances.. All of them. I do not know what the base is, but it is horrible, to me...

There is one woman, who attends Mass, about once a month.. I literally have had to move from being anywhere near her.

When I was working, I hated to do it, but I would have to tell my patients, who were wearing this perfume, that I could not talk very much because I was on the verge of an asthma attack.. yup, coughing the entire time I was near them....mask did not even help me...

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Speaking as someone who gets migraines from strong scents I can relate. One of the worst perfumes for me is Shalimar. My allergist has a sign near the front desk that says, "No Perfumes." :nono:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Speaking as someone who gets migraines from strong scents I can relate. One of the worst perfumes for me is Shalimar. My allergist has a sign near the front desk that says, "No Perfumes." :nono:
Shalimar was my Grandma's trademark scent. :lol: I would catch a whiff of it in the hallway of her house for years after she went into a nursing home. My Mom said she thinks my Grandpa would spritz a bit to make it seem like she was near. I keep wanting to buy a bottle just to smell it from time to time. It's instantly comforting because it smells like Gram. :cloud9::redheartpump:

But I agree about these strong scents. The Axe stuff is soooo easily overdone!! I had a client have to leave my office because a guy walked in bathed in it. It aggravated her asthma in a SCARY way. I had another client who was allergic to the scent of vanilla. So I guess anything can be overdone and really bother someone. I have a friend who teaches at a middle school. Boys like to burn your eyes with that Axe stuff. :rolleyes:

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This reminds me of one of Modern Family shows when the father was in a store and a salesman sprayed him with some cologne. He got mad and grabbed the bottle and chased the man all over the store and was saying ''You didn't even ask. How do you like this''? He just kept spraying him and it was so funny.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can only use body mist because it's lighter than perfume. Perfume and cologne tend to trigger my migraines, especially floral scents. The only scents I use are food-scented, especially fruit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Shalimar was my Grandma's trademark scent. :lol: I would catch a whiff of it in the hallway of her house for years after she went into a nursing home. My Mom said she thinks my Grandpa would spritz a bit to make it seem like she was near. I keep wanting to buy a bottle just to smell it from time to time. It's instantly comforting because it smells like Gram. :cloud9::redheartpump:

But I agree about these strong scents. The Axe stuff is soooo easily overdone!! I had a client have to leave my office because a guy walked in bathed in it. It aggravated her asthma in a SCARY way. I had another client who was allergic to the scent of vanilla. So I guess anything can be overdone and really bother someone. I have a friend who teaches at a middle school. Boys like to burn your eyes with that Axe stuff. :rolleyes:
Actually, I wear Axe scents! I prefer more masculine, spicy or citrusy scents. Many women's perfumes bother me. I discovered men's cologne accidentally. I used to wear Tommy for Her (Tommy Hilfiger), and bought it in the small size at the grocery store. The display only had women's perfumes, and I grabbed the Tommy one. When I used it, I discovered that it was the men's version, and found that I had no sinus issues from it, and actually preferred the scent.

With the Axe stuff, I only spray on a light spray where one would normally apply perfume.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
This reminds me of one of Modern Family shows when the father was in a store and a salesman sprayed him with some cologne. He got mad and grabbed the bottle and chased the man all over the store and was saying ''You didn't even ask. How do you like this''? He just kept spraying him and it was so funny.
I used to call the perfume ladies at the mall "Skunks", because they'd lie in wait and spray you with something you didn't want.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I had a coworker who probably thought I hated her because I couldn’t be near her for more than ten minutes without wheezing. Some people just lay it on way too heavy or the specific perfume just aggravates my breathing. I’ve had to stop working out or change machines at the gym. Or get out on a different floor of an elevator and wait for a new one. It’s just bad.

I know the people think they smell great, but not everything smells the same to everyone else. Which ties into I doubt we could guess what the perfume is. It’s too subjective.