Can you herd cats?

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Awwwww.......look at that adorable look on his face!!!!

How to herd a cat: get a dog!!
Yup! Dogs herd well!
Especially Australian shepherds/collies
He loves his babies
Those are actually of Kojak and his little brothers when they were babies. Fosters does this with every litter of foster kittens i have

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anybody remember that tv commercial with the cowboys literally "herding cats"?
That is one of my all time favorites!

Cardigan Corgis are good for herding cats, too! Ours (since passed*sigh*) used to herd anything- a half dozen or more tennis balls, a few cats... His first experience with being put in charge of kittens was hillarious, though. Bird decided it was time (again!) to move her kittens, and decided that the dog (who happened to be sitting in front of the door between the two rooms she was running between) would make a good babysitter while she was getting the other kittens moved, and left them with him one at a time as she took another one to the new "hiding place"
. When she gave him the first one and took off to get another one, he was sitting down, with a 2 week old kitten at his front feet, looking at the kitten, then up at us, like "What am I supposed to do with this? Am I qualified?"
I thought I would roll off the bed laughing!
And then she'd come and get that one, and leave him another to watch...

The cats didn't mind being herded, though, as herding would eventually lead to "neck fleaing", though the dog tried not to do it in front of us- lol! The evidence was always there, though- a happy, slimy necked cat! Ugh!

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I forgot what I was going to say in the first place!

Our cats get a treat twice a day, as Bird and the dog get meds twice a day. I was out of town last month overnight, and my DH had to pill Bird and treat the others. When I talked to him, he said "How do they know? I hadn't even gotten the food out of the fridge, and they were all right there!" I asked him if he had picked up Bird's bowl (she has a small corningware glass bowl that usually stays on the diningroom table between washings) and he said "Yes..." I told him that was it- they know!

All it takes in our house is the slightest sliding of the bottom of that bowl on a surface, and they come running!

If they are outside, I just have to holler "Kitty kitty want a can?" and instant cats!