Can You Help Identify Rose's Pattern And Color?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Curious about her tortoiseshell feet. Opinions?
I think she is mackerel tabby.  Brown?   These reddish on her feet I think is what is called for  [sorry, I dont remember the word at this moment. Rusticism??   A quite common "miscoloration"].

Another possibility, she has a background as homeless, yes?  She could have got her paws frostbitten, and the new hair come out in another color shade...

If she werent so clear cut tabby, I would agree with you.  Sometimes the tortoiseshells / torbies, arent clear cut torties.  The red is in a spot somewhere on their body... And it is enough to make them into a tortie.  But then she should have lotsa black, for example.

Good luck!

katarack21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm still new at this, but...can you have a patched tabby that isn't a calico or tortoiseshell? Because patched tabby is what I'd call her.

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
What a beautiful girl

I do believe she is a Torbie. A torbie is both tabby and a tortie patterns mixed together. :D

In this picture below you can just see that she has both black and pink paw pads. This confirms that she is a tortie. Brown tabbies only have black paw pads (unless they are a bicolor) The red gene in tortie's produce pink paw pads.

Your girl also has a mackerel tabby pattern. Meaning she can be called a brown mackerel torbie or a brown patched tabby ;) They both mean exactly the same thing, just different cat fancy's call them by different names.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fatedone

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think she is mackerel tabby.  Brown?   These reddish on her feet I think is what is called for  [sorry, I dont remember the word at this moment. Rusticism??   A quite common "miscoloration"].

Another possibility, she has a background as homeless, yes?  She could have got her paws frostbitten, and the new hair come out in another color shade...

If she werent so clear cut tabby, I would agree with you.  Sometimes the tortoiseshells / torbies, arent clear cut torties.  The red is in a spot somewhere on their body... And it is enough to make them into a tortie.  But then she should have lotsa black, for example.

Good luck!
She was a kitten when we adopted her, maybe 5 months. I don't think she'd get frost bitten since we lived in Sunny California at that time. I should've raked a picture but she has a large rusty spot on her back as well. I will take a photo and post it here. She just has red everywhere. Lol.

What a beautiful girl

I do believe she is a Torbie. A torbie is both tabby and a tortie patterns mixed together. :D

In this picture below you can just see that she has both black and pink paw pads. This confirms that she is a tortie. Brown tabbies only have black paw pads (unless they are a bicolor) The red gene in tortie's produce pink paw pads.
Your girl also has a mackerel tabby pattern. Meaning she can be called a brown mackerel torbie or a brown patched tabby ;) They both mean exactly the same thing, just different cat fancy's call them by different names.
Thanks! I've just been calling her spare parts when people ask. Lol.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Were any of her kittens orange/red? That would settle it for sure. Only a red tabby or a tortie/torbie can have red kittens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fatedone

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Were any of her kittens orange/red? That would settle it for sure. Only a red tabby or a tortie/torbie can have red kittens.
Yes, one of them was orange and white striped but sadly didn't make it.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Then she definitely is a torbie. Or tortie/tabby or patched tabby or whatever you want to call it :lol3:.