Can you have a non-purebred that is colorpoint?? Feral kitten picture

paintedfox

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Someone dumped 3 young cats on my property last summer. I guesstimated they were about 6 months. There was already a feral colony here that I TNRed the cats when we moved in. Over the winter I trapped one of the males, got him fixed, then trapped a female. She was pregnant. She's been in my laundry room for a few weeks, and when the kittens go to their homes, I will let her milk dry and get her fixed and re-release her with the rest of the ferals. Anyway, she had 5 kittens, I am pretty sure I know who the dad was, I trapped them together. I had seen him around my colony but he never got close until she went into heat I guess. I got him fixed, he was tabby with white & gold eyes. She is grey and white with very light green eyes. The kittens are 3 grey with varying amounts of white, a tabby and white, and then this weird white with creamy orange kitten with grey extremities and blue eyes. Is this considered color point? He's a total mutt, there are no cats that look anything like this in the whole colony or that I have seen around. Just curious, because his eyes are blue, not that diluted kitten blue, but crystal blue. If he is a color point then he should keep the blue eyes, so I was just curious if he will keep the blue eyes. None of the other kittens eyes are like this, all the other kittens have the typical 'kitten blue' eyes. For reference I also included 2 of the other kittens so you can see the eye color difference. They were 3 weeks old yesterday.

All the other kittens have the "regular" dark blue kitten eyes

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say he'll keep the blue eyes, along with his points. He is a very handsome little boy! The parents don't have to be pointed, just both parents have to carry the 'point' gene. I've got a beautiful flame point that you would swear is a purebred Siamese, but I know for a fact both parents were orange and white! You won't have any problem finding that little sweetheart a home, I pray you find homes for all, and bless you for caring for these cats!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

paintedfox

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much! My cat genetics knowledge is very limited, but this seemed like such impossible odds of recessiveness to get this color kitten. Thank you for the kind words, I always feel like it never ends with the trapping/fixing, just when you think you're done, someone dumps cats at your house :( The little polar bear has 3 people requesting him, so I am hoping whoever doesn't get him will adopt one of the other ones. They're all so sweet. Momma kitty decided I'm not so bad after all so she gets happy and excited and give me purrs an headbutts when I visit so they kittens in turn are happy and friendly. When I first trapped her she was growling and terrified, so I am glad she's friendlier now so her fear didn't transfer over to the kittens.

This is the mommy cat

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What a nice story!  Yeah, its quite typical, these semiferal moms, when they had landed and realize nobody is mean to them, and this may even be the best possible solution for her children, they do copy with the situation and adapt as well they can.  As long the welfare of the children is OK, they are OK with it...

I agree also with Di and Bob, he is a point, both parents are apparently carriers of the point gene, which by itself is recessive and weak, but doubled up, one from mom and one from dad, gets quite strong in that individual, we do get a point with blue eyes and everything...  Just some colors and or patterns may be inheritted from the parents.   So tabby parents tends to get a tabby point.(often called for lynx).. Very dark parents tend to get a dark (seal) point, red parents get a flame (=red) or creme (=diluted red) point, etc...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

paintedfox

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much! The 3 that were dumped on my property i believe are siblings, they all showed up together at the same time and they all slept together in one bed every night of this winter in one of the heated houses. Her siblings are both male and one is orange tabby (who I caught and fixed) and black and white (still have to catch). I think they were a litter someone had, and after they weren't so cute anymore they got rid of, because you hit the nail on the head, they have always been semi-feral. There are some true ferals in the colony here that even after 4 years won't come near me. And this is my 3rd time fostering a pregnant mom and her kittens, the first went OK, momma eventually warmed up and even now after I re-released her I can pet her, but the last time I fostered was BAD. She was a striker and never let me get near her or the kittens. When the kittens got to be around 2-3 weeks they started coming to me, but she never warmed to me. This is my second colony, the house I lived before we bought this one also had a colony that I trapped and fixed all the cats and I still go there every day to feed those cats. I am a champion drop trapper, thats how I caught this momma kitty and her paramour together. Thank you for the info, I am really glad I found this forum, managing 2 feral colonies is not without challenges, and it's nice to have found like minded people I can ask for advice!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Thank you so much! The 3 that were dumped on my property i believe are siblings, they all showed up together at the same time and they all slept together in one bed every night of this winter in one of the heated houses. Her siblings are both male and one is orange tabby (who I caught and fixed) and black and white (still have to catch). I think they were a litter someone had, and after they weren't so cute anymore they got rid of, because you hit the nail on the head, they have always been semi-feral. There are some true ferals in the colony here that even after 4 years won't come near me. And this is my 3rd time fostering a pregnant mom and her kittens, the first went OK, momma eventually warmed up and even now after I re-released her I can pet her, but the last time I fostered was BAD. She was a striker and never let me get near her or the kittens. When the kittens got to be around 2-3 weeks they started coming to me, but she never warmed to me. This is my second colony, the house I lived before we bought this one also had a colony that I trapped and fixed all the cats and I still go there every day to feed those cats. I am a champion drop trapper, thats how I caught this momma kitty and her paramour together. Thank you for the info, I am really glad I found this forum, managing 2 feral colonies is not without challenges, and it's nice to have found like minded people I can ask for advice!
You are welcome.  Please visit also our  Stray and Ferale subforum.  Lotsa movement and like minded people in there.   You can surely also apply for the Friend of Ferales badge...  Essentially just to reedit tis post somewhat...   :)

So the second mom never did warmed up to you, but it seems she accepted the kittens come forward to you, and let you foster them?   If so, its anyways a big admittance. She would never do so if she thought you to be a true enemy nor unreliable hostile.