Can you get adult cats used to being bathed?

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, so last January I got bronchitis, and my immune system apparently never got the idea that I'm better now. I kept coughing until my doctor realized I had gotten asthma. No, I didn't know it could happen, either.

Anyhow, I've been advised to reduce the allergens in my environment. I've decided to start enforcing a "no cats on the bed" rule, which won't be too tough since they don't usually go up there. I'll just have to make sure they have other places to lounge. Also I'm going to look for a low-dust litter that they and I can all agree on, since neither my cats nor I can tolerate scented litter.

I have two cats, age four and seven. I have had to bathe them about twice each, usually when they got into something nasty-smelling or poisonous. They always hated it, but forgave me in an hour. They never panicked to the extent of scratching me--they just complained loudly until I finished washing them off.

I know that bathing a cat regularly is one option to reduce cat-allergy issues. I figure baby shampoo and warm water should work, plus a warm place to dry off; a space heater in the wintertime.

The cats are not my major asthma trigger issue right now. I have much more trouble with cold air, exercise, dust, and pollen. Still, I don't want to be tied to an inhaler if I can help it.

I know some of you folks who breed purebred cats need to bathe them before shows, but from what I can gather you started them on that when they were kittens. Can I get two relatively set-in-their-ways adults to tolerate getting bathed?

And, no, I am not considering "getting rid of" the cats. My asthma is annoying, not life-threatening. At worst, it wakes me up at night with coughing; I've never been actually unable to breathe. I just want to make it easier for myself, without making things too much harder for my cats.

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would think over time they'd get accustomed to it, even if they never enjoy it. Just something they would become resigned to having to happen. Sorry to hear about your development of asthma.

Last edited:

dellawoods007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You'll never find a dust free litter except perhaps the" yesterdays newspaper" litter..I use breathfree tidy cat mixed with arm an hammer essentials in an orange plastic bag...it's greatI get it on sale @ KMart...they have the tidy cat on sale, as well.I found an allery spray for the room that get rid of the dust with a fresh scent. Natures Miracle, allergen reducer, dander and allergen remover..removes on hard surfaces, carpet fabric, linens etc.Goodluck