Can You Donate Unopened Raw Food To Shelters?

alzycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey all, not too sure if this is the right place to post this so feel free to move it if need be!

Title speaks for itself: I know you can donate dry and canned food to shelters, but does anyone know if they will accept raw? I bought some raw food for my cat a couple months ago but she no longer eats it, and now I have a bunch sitting in my freezer. I would hate to just throw it away but I'm not sure if feeding raw is common in shelters and if they'll accept it.

It's not home made or anything, just pre-made, packaged raw patties from the pet store.

Thanks!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most likely not. Shelters don't have freezer space for raw food. Dry and canned food are the easiest foods for a shelter to store and feed.

Why not post the raw food on Craigslist or FreeCycle or something similar? Post on local pet groups, too.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There's nextdoor . com and/or any local feral / TNR group. --You could always call a local shelter just to double-check, thanks for thinking of it!

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
While it's very kind of you to think of donating, many shelters don't have a large amount of freezer space to store that kind of thing. I would definitely call and ask - just don't feel offended if they say no due to storage limitations. :)

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
You could hang on to it and try to feed it again in a month or so...sometimes cats are little prima donnas and will decide that they suddenly like a certain food again after not being offered it for a while!