Can Wet Cat Food Be Spoiled (brand New Tin)?

phillyman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
D793C940-1553-45F8-8C11-A6065C009D9C.jpeg
hi All,

I’ve been experimenting with different brands and flavors. My cat did not respond/eat
Instinct Original Real Beef the first time around. I learned from these forums I should mix previously liked products to introduce new flavors. So a week later I was going to try the beef again. When I opened a can (expiration April 2021) I saw white flecks. I have a hard time believing that it is spoiled (and does not smell bad) but before I tried it I wanted your thoughts. Maybe it is a different residue? Would you try it since cats are tougher than humans? Or did she smell it was off (not sure if the previous can had them) or am I overreacting and the kitty just didn’t trust a whole new protein?

Thanks,
Philly

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don't think there is anything wrong with the food. I do see things like that fairly often and recall someone once said it may be congealed fat or something similar. I think it's very possible your little one simply isn't interested in this new protein,especially since she didn't like it last time either. I think there are quite a few cats who don't like beef. I have ONE who likes it, and another who doesn't.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My guess is the white could be fat, but I don't know for sure. Was the can dented or damaged in any way? I know can goods can get bacteria in them if it gets damage. Based on the fact that she didn't eat it before though it could just be she doesn't like beef.

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used to feed the instinct beef. It always looked like that. I think it’s because it has such a high fat content. The clay in it also gives it that weird smooth texture it has.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

phillyman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the very quick replies.. I agree, on closer inspection it is probably fat! No the can was not damaged.

Thanks, I’ll mix it today and see if she still doesn’t like it.

Philly

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not all cats like red meat. It may not be the can or the food if she doesn't like it.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I often wonder about canned cat food these days. There doesn't seem to be as much vacuum in the can, or virtually none for that matter, as in food canned for human consumption. That's something we're all taught to check: Is the top of the can concave and taut? Is there a rush of air in once the seal is broken? It just doesn't seem right, yet the cats seem none the worse for it. Anybody know?

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah that's fat.

A canned food can be spoiled if the can isn't sealed properly (not always obvious; use your eyes and nose), but that's fairly rare.

My cats don't like beef in general, so if she doesn't like it that doesn't necessarily mean it's bad. Just that cats don't usually eat cows ;).