Can Vaccines Make Kittens Sick?

Cindyozzy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kittens have upper respiratory, they were recovering. They got vaccinated a week ago and since then they seem to be getting sicker with the upper respiratory symptoms. The doxycycline they gave me was dark brown liquid, someone online said this may mean its not effective anymore.

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The kittens really need to go back to the vet. There's just too much going on medically on in this situation for us to know for sure why they declined.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
It is common knowledge sick animals should not be vaccinated because they need healthy and strong immune systems to handle the virus injection. If the vaccine is FVRCP, that is even worse because it prevents three respiratory system diseases - possibly including the one they were recovering from.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cindyozzy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is common knowledge sick animals should not be vaccinated because they need healthy and strong immune systems to handle the virus injection. If the vaccine is FVRCP, that is even worse because it prevents three respiratory system diseases - possibly including the one they were recovering from.

Cindyozzy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It was the FVRCP, they went to the vet Friday June 22, the vet said to keep them on the same antibiotic and use a humidifier. I have another appointment tomorrow. Should i ask for a different antibiotic at this point?

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It was the FVRCP, they went to the vet Friday June 22, the vet said to keep them on the same antibiotic and use a humidifier. I have another appointment tomorrow. Should i ask for a different antibiotic at this point?
I would tell your vet everything you said in the first post (the potential vaccination issue and the discolored med) and see what they recommend.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not really comfortable with the idea that this vet vaccinated sick kittens. Is this a multi-vet practice? If so perhaps you could ask if there is another vet you could see. My now 12 year old cat had that same vaccine re-scheduled 2x due to a URI as a kitten. My 4 year old had the same vaccine rescheduled due to a URI also. I had a voucher for the vaccine and one appointment. The vet's office works closely with the rescue. The vet notified the rescue that the could not do his vaccine at that appointment due to the URI. I was going to pay for the vaccine myself later but the rescue contacted me and sent me another voucher to cover the vaccine at a later date. It was in the contract that he was to finish his last vaccine at that appointment and the vet did not want me to violate the contract so he contacted the rescue to let them know Apollo had a URI and was not going to get a vaccine while he was sick. My Casey was also adopted as a kitten from the same rescue and had a cold when I went to get his last vaccine using the same voucher. A different vet from the same practice contacted the rescue to let them know Casey's last vaccine needed to wait until he got over a URI. This vet offered to waive the fee's for the vaacine/URI follow-up on the phone with the rescue. The rescue sent me a new voucher to cover the follow-up and vaccine. I have had 3 different vets from 2 different practices tell me they will not vaccinate sick kittens or adult cats.

Cindyozzy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am not really comfortable with the idea that this vet vaccinated sick kittens. Is this a multi-vet practice? If so perhaps you could ask if there is another vet you could see. My now 12 year old cat had that same vaccine re-scheduled 2x due to a URI as a kitten. My 4 year old had the same vaccine rescheduled due to a URI also. I had a voucher for the vaccine and one appointment. The vet's office works closely with the rescue. The vet notified the rescue that the could not do his vaccine at that appointment due to the URI. I was going to pay for the vaccine myself later but the rescue contacted me and sent me another voucher to cover the vaccine at a later date. It was in the contract that he was to finish his last vaccine at that appointment and the vet did not want me to violate the contract so he contacted the rescue to let them know Apollo had a URI and was not going to get a vaccine while he was sick. My Casey was also adopted as a kitten from the same rescue and had a cold when I went to get his last vaccine using the same voucher. A different vet from the same practice contacted the rescue to let them know Casey's last vaccine needed to wait until he got over a URI. This vet offered to waive the fee's for the vaacine/URI follow-up on the phone with the rescue. The rescue sent me a new voucher to cover the follow-up and vaccine. I have had 3 different vets from 2 different practices tell me they will not vaccinate sick kittens or adult cats.
I left out some details in my original post, the rescue vaccined them before they handed them to me while they were very sick June 18(they had already been on antibiotics a week at this point). I took them to my vet on Friday because one kitten in particular was showing many signs of getting sicker. But after reading your reply now im thinking it was the vaccine that is causing them to get sicker.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would follow-up with your regular vet if the URI's are getting worse. I have never had a sick kitten vaccinated in my household so I can not say for sure if it the vaccine that is causing them to become sicker. Sometimes URI's can also be stubborn. When my 12 year old cat Starbuck was a kitten she had a stubborn URI that required 2 rounds of different antibiotics before it finally went away completely. She also had ear mites and an ear infection at the time. Both the ear mites and ear infection were also stubborn and required 2 different medications/washes before they went away completely too.

Tagrendy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kittens have upper respiratory, they were recovering. They got vaccinated a week ago and since then they seem to be getting sicker with the upper respiratory symptoms. The doxycycline they gave me was dark brown liquid, someone online said this may mean its not effective anymore.
I remember each time my kitten was vaccinated the vet would check everything and tell me that if he's sick we can't do vaccines. And that he can't have shower for a week I think. Vaccine is basically a virus - so giving a virus to a cat whose immune system is already fighting another virus would probably make symptoms worse. =(