Can This Be Fip?

mirmir

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

My cat Shiro is 5-6 months old. His head started to tilt yesterday and he started to experience difficulty walking. He can't balance himself, he sometimes drops to floor when he tries to jump or run, and now he has a continious, severe head tilt. Of course I rushed him to vet immediately, they suspected toxoplasma,FIP or neurological disease. Toxoplasma test is negative and Corona is positive. CBC results are perfect, nothing is out of ordinary. At this point the vet thinks it's either FIP or something else. He's on antibiotics and prednisone. Probably an MRI will be performed in the following days, vet didn't want to perform it right away because I've just spent tons of money on my HCM cat Ziba's routine heart ultrasound, additional abdominal ultrasound and spleen biopsy because they suspect she has lymphoma, so I'm out of money.

I found Shiro when he was 1,5 months old at the street with a mild upper respiratory infection, after it was treated he had corneal inflammation, that turned into full blown glacouma resulting in lens luxation. I was trying to find money for his lens removal/renewal operation and now this happened. Glaucoma is not new, he had been getting treatment for 3,5 months until a month ago.

I don't want to believe it's FIP. Because he's fine other than his head tilt and balance difficulty. He tries to play with me, he runs (but usually falls), he tries to crab walk but he's not able to (it's his favorite play move). Because of his balance problem he gets tired quickly and throws himself in the floor but at least he tries to play, he's not lethargic. He eats. He was always a fussy eater, from day one and always very slim because he never eats a lot. But he wants to eat now, only he finds it very hard because of his severe head tilt, so can't eat much. He also can't clean himself in anywhere other than his front paws. He can't scratch himself too. Also, he is normally a very vocal cat, he always chirps and now I can't get any sound from him. He constantly purrs now.

I know this is just the beginning, he started to show symptoms only yesterday and can get worse any second but something tells me if it was FIP that caused these severe neurological symptoms, then it can't be just the beginning of the disease and there must be other symptoms that accompany them.

If you have experience with this type of FIP, can you please tell me what do you think of this situation? Did anyone have or hear about a cat who developed FIP but showed only neurological signs with good blood work results?

Thank you.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am only familiar with wet FIP, and generally speaking the beginnings of that are belly swelling, followed by lethargy, lack of interest in eating, and goes on from there. Blood tests show nothing until the disease has progressed to the points I noted above.

I am not familiar with head tilting with either dry or wet forms of FIP. Tbh, it would seem a lot of vets automatically default to FIP, mostly because kittens and cats up to the age of 2-3 yo who have corona virus are likely to have it mutate to FIP, particularly when their immune systems are not fully developed or are weakened by other diseases/ailments.

I would be inclined to pursue the neurological issues. And, ideally sooner than later. The earlier an issue is caught the better the chance of finding a treatment for recovery or prevention of additional problems. Don't wait any longer than you have to, please.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mirmir

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you FeebysOwner, unfortunately head tilt and and overall balance problems are symptoms that are seen in dry form. The vet didn't say it's absolutely FIP, he said it could be but I'm still freaking out because it's a death sentence. I will press for MRI tomorrow. As I said I didn't have any money after Ziba's operations and they kindly accepted when I asked if I could pay Shiro's expenses next month, I hope they accept this for MRI too.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am keeping my fingers crossed that you vet accepts your payment request. :crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers:

I am wishing you the best with any tests that you are able to have done. And, please keep us posted as much and as often as you would like. :vibes:

mirmir

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am keeping my fingers crossed that you vet accepts your payment request. :crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers:

I am wishing you the best with any tests that you are able to have done. And, please keep us posted as much and as often as you would like. :vibes:
Thank you I hope he will and I hope the results would suggest something other than FIP. I can't believe he's sick he's jumping around like a little kitten right know. I'll update.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The good thing (if there is such a thing) with the dry form especially when found early - while it can't be cured - there are measures that can be taken to help extend Shiro's lifespan.

In addition, there is a treatment that is being tested to extend the life of a cat with dry FIP - see attached article. (Only the first few paragraphs are related to FIP - but, I am sure there are other articles about it.)

New drug shows promise to extend life for cats with 'dry' FIP

But, don't jump to the conclusion of FIP just yet...

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear about your sweet kitten's recent health problems. I had a young 3 year old cat with the wet form of FIP and understand your worry and concern. :hugs:

I would be inclined to pursue the neurological issues. And, ideally sooner than later. The earlier an issue is caught the better the chance of finding a treatment for recovery or prevention of additional problems.
From the description of Shiro's symptoms I tend to agree with FeebysOwner FeebysOwner that it presents as a neurological disorder. Here is an Article about FIP that briefly discusses the two forms of this illness: Fip In Cats

I wish you the best of luck not only with financial expenses but getting the right diagnosis for Shiro. :alright:

mirmir

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update

After today's appointment the vet said FIP is unlikely because his bloodwork is very good, he eats and he played yesterday. Unfortunately he's low on energy today, he doesn't play anymore but still eats. He's eye with glaucoma is inflamed again, I'm hoping his low energy is a result of that and he'll feel better after the drops kick in.
They don't have an MRI device in the clinic so they have to perform it somewhere else and I have to pay immediately. I will try to get a loan from a friend and get it done as soon as possible.
His vet also said that even if this is probably not FIP, it can trigger it because he's FCOV positive.
Thank you all for your kind words and advice, I'll keep you posted.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What did your vet say about the glaucoma and it's relation to the head tilt? I would think that any disruption in his vision might cause any of the problems you named. Of course once the vision is completely gone and the pressure in the eye/brain stabilized it will be different.

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update

After today's appointment the vet said FIP is unlikely because his bloodwork is very good, he eats and he played yesterday. Unfortunately he's low on energy today, he doesn't play anymore but still eats. He's eye with glaucoma is inflamed again, I'm hoping his low energy is a result of that and he'll feel better after the drops kick in.
They don't have an MRI device in the clinic so they have to perform it somewhere else and I have to pay immediately. I will try to get a loan from a friend and get it done as soon as possible.
His vet also said that even if this is probably not FIP, it can trigger it because he's FCOV positive.
Thank you all for your kind words and advice, I'll keep you posted.
When my old lady was super ill with histoplasmosis, my vet made the comment that sometimes they're spending so much energy on survival they don't want to play. As long as he's eating, you should be encouraged.

mirmir

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What did your vet say about the glaucoma and it's relation to the head tilt? I would think that any disruption in his vision might cause any of the problems you named. Of course once the vision is completely gone and the pressure in the eye/brain stabilized it will be different.
Unfortunately head tilt is not the only problem. He has serious balance issues and he can't clean or scratch himself. Re-inflammation of the eye was expected, he should either have the lens luxation or removal surgery, but we can't do any of these in his present condition.

mirmir

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The fact that he still eats is the only thing that keeps my hopes up, it's hard for him to eat off his bowl but he happily eats off my finger. I hope he won't lose his appetite.
Also he's scheduled for MRI early in the morning, I'm really scared I hope it's something curable. I've been reading about brain disorders in cats for days and all of them are just so scary. Please keep him in your thoughts.

mirmir

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update:
He has hydrocephalus. It could be congenital but most likely secondary, due to head trauma, disease or inflammation. He receives drugs to remove the excess fluid in his brain now, hopefully they will work. If they won't the only option is surgery. It's dangerous for a kitten and I don't know if I can afford it. Hope it won't come to that. And vets can't say if there is brain damage or not. We'll see. I'll post a new thread asking for information on his condition.

mirmir

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Sorry to hear about Shiro's condition. I just started to read about it and found this article, in case it isn't one you have already found. I will re-post it if you should start another thread.

Hydrocephalus in Cats - PetPlace
Thank you, I read other articles about it but not this one. I'll look into it now.