Can Stress Cause Loose Bowels?

okeelady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As many cats as I've had I should know the answer. I've never had to board any of my cats in the past but I had to go out of town and my friend who normally takes care of them is dealing with chemo and couldn't. I only have one cat now. I boarded Emily in a kennel where she had a whole big room to herself which made me happy. I'd never do it if she had been put in a cage. I guess she hid the 10 days there and was so happy and excited to see me. My question is there was no food change while she was boarded but now her stools are really loose. Can stress cause something like that? She's current on all her vaccinations.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not a vet, but yes I believe so including loss of appetite. When my husband and I also went for a vacation last summer for 40 days, I left my two cats under the care of a cousin. But they stayed in our own flat. My cousin just had to drop by twice or thrice everyday to feed and clean the bowls, replace the water and clean the litter boxes. When we came back, my cats were both noticeably thinner, although I could see that most of the two-month stock of wet and dry food was almost gone. My cousin told me that most of the food would be left untouched when he got back, clearly a sign that one or two of them was not eating as they should be. My cousin also reported to me that most of the times they had loose poop but did not tell me while I was vacationing as he knew I would get worried.
Immediately after I came to the door, my cats were jumping up and down and were seemingly happy to see me. After just a few days they regained much weight (again). And the stool? I did not notice any more loose bowels.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stress can cause all kinds of problems with our cats. I would imagine loose stools would be one of them.

However even in the best boarding situations they can also pick up things, such as giardia. If her system does not straighten out in just a few days i would have a vet visit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

okeelady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Emily had a bowel movement this am and it was formed but a little loose and really smelly. I'm gonna give it another day or so then call the vet. I think I may have it figured out though. I'm in my late 60's and rarely go anywhere. I adopted her about 7 months ago and she's with me 24/7 unless I go to the store. When I'm gone she carries a yellow sponge ball around crying and crying. She even does that when I go outside or even to bed! I'm starting to think she has "separation anxiety". I put a comfort zone out yesterday and maybe that will help. Probably 10 days in the "kitty hotel" hiding etc probably didn't help at all.

Attachments

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Emily had a bowel movement this am and it was formed but a little loose and really smelly. I'm gonna give it another day or so then call the vet. I think I may have it figured out though. I'm in my late 60's and rarely go anywhere. I adopted her about 7 months ago and she's with me 24/7 unless I go to the store. When I'm gone she carries a yellow sponge ball around crying and crying. She even does that when I go outside or even to bed! I'm starting to think she has "separation anxiety". I put a comfort zone out yesterday and maybe that will help. Probably 10 days in the "kitty hotel" hiding etc probably didn't help at all.
We have a cat that is sooo attached to my husband. Where he goes, the cat also goes. He is like a shadow of my husband. When he is not around, the cat cries and takes his spot in bed, sniffing his pillow until he goes to sleep. When our other cat tries to get near my husband, he pounces. I even joked my husband that in case we part ways, that cat goes with me and he will not have any visitation rights. Lol.

okeelady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I took Emily to the vet yesterday afternoon. The diarrhea got worse. The vet checked her stool and temperature and all is good. She said it was for sure because of the stress and anxiety from being boarded. She gave her Diagel for the diarrhea and said that would help. Well this am she's been in the litter box 3 times and it's like water. Has anyone had any experience with the diagel and know how long it takes to work OR if it even works? The vet said once she gets back to normal everything should be better. Probably the vet visit didn't help either. I feel like crying. The only way I'll ever leave my cat again is if they throw me in the hospital and I have no choice!

okeelady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm about ready to cry. Does anyone know how long stress diarrhea can last? It's been 1 week. I went to another vet in town ONLY to buy some Royal Canine Intestinal canned food which I've used in the past for another cat I had with issues. My regular vet didn't have any intestinal food available when I took her in. She's eaten it for about 4 days. She didn't have a bowel movement for about 2 days which kinda made me happy. This morning I decided to try Fancy Feast Turkey which I've always fed her. She went into the litter box and had a somewhat formed stool. A little bit later she's been in there twice with loose stools. I may have screwed up with the fancy feast? At what point should I worry? She's acting totally normal except for the bowels.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if, when boarding Emily, she picked something up.. like giardiasis or coccidia...

Have you taken a stool sample to the vet.. if not, I would.. and if you did, I would take another.. sometimes you get a false negative.. and just need the treatment for it.. Panacur...

okeelady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They did check the stool and no blood or parasites but from what I've read about the giardiasis it takes a special test and sometimes nothing shows up. I'll put her back on that prescription intestinal food and call the vet Monday. I also called the boarding place and ask if she had loose bowels while she was there and she said no but who knows. I just feel bad to have a healthy cat before then a problem after. No more boarding my Emily! Thanks for your advice.

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Did the vet check for dehydration? I know mine easily get dehydrated if they have diarrhea for just a few days. Fluids help them so much. That will take a vet visit, unfortunately, at least once to learn how to administer fluids.

okeelady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can hardly wait until tomorrow to call the vet about Emily. I ended up calling the vet "on call" yesterday and he said it did sound like a stress issue from being boarded. I sure hope this boarding place disinfected litter boxes bowls etc etc. He told me to continue the Royal Canin intestinal food but since she was acting normal and not vomiting to give it a day or two. He mentioned Metronidazole. That is the most horrible stuff! I had to take it myself for a bowel issue so I know. Being alone if they were to prescribe that I'm not sure I'll be able to give her the pill? When I do go I'll take a stool sample and have them check again. She's not dehydrated. I always add water to her wet food. The poop smells so bad and is so gassy.....I'm probably more stressed out than her and I'm sure she can sense that.

meowpassion

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
agreed with posters above. Cats are very emotional and they are creatures of habit. Moving to a new place is one of the reasons why a cat might experience stress. I hope your Emily will be fine soon.

okeelady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This may be long again...sorry. So Monday I decided to take a stool sample to the vet (not Emily because I didn't want to stress her out anymore). I asked them about checking for giardia and the tech told me they have to send it to a lab and most of the time it comes back negative because it's hard to detect and very expensive. She went and talked to the vet and came out with a bottle of sucralfate. I asked her with or without food and she said it didn't matter. After checking on Dr Google and this site I found it has to be given on an empty stomach. I tried the "slurry" way and it didn't go well so I crushed it and mixed it with her food which she ate. Guess that's better than nothing. I'm still feeding her Royal Canin Intestinal. She didn't have a bowel movement for about 2 days then it looked normal. Then a day or so later it looked normal but loose at the end. Then a little bit later back in the box with watery stool. I may have screwed up though. A few times I decided to give her a few (about 10) pieces of Taste of the Wild dry which I've been doing since I got her along with fancy feast until this bowel issue started. It's been 2 weeks since this started after being boarded. I guess I'll just wait until the first of the week then call the vet again. This is so stressful

okeelady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sucralfate is a drug they use for ulcers. I think I'm going to need drugs after this. Emily's stool was slowly getting better however she wouldn't go for a day then the next day it would be normal then the next day normal and 1/2 hr later loose. I took her back to the vet yesterday with all of my "notes". Yes unless I write stuff down I don't remember. I think the vet was at a loss after 17 days of this. She decided to treat her for Giardia (without testing) then after reading ahead of time I knew she was probably gonna prescribe metronidazole. I took that myself years ago and it was horrible nausea taste etc. She also gave her a shot of DepoMedrol for any intestinal inflammation. I found a compound pharmacy in town (I was shocked to know we had one) and bought empty capsules to crush and put the medicine it. Totally unsuccessful in giving her the pill. I just can't do it by myself. Also today she's just laying around not her normal self which I assume is from the Depo shot. I may hold off on trying pills again for a few days and see how she is since the vet was just guessing at the Giardia. BTW going on day 2 no bowel movement. Sorry so long....just want my amazing Emily back to normal.

okeelady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll try to keep this short but no guaranty. Emily finally had a normal poop then the next day it was normal then several hours later loose again so Thurs I called the vet again. Emily has been just laying around and I ask the vet if she thought that was because of the Depo shot and said she didn't think so. She said maybe try Science Diet Sensitive Stomach dry food which I did go buy some. I had tried giving her the metronidazole Flagyl in capsules without success HOWEVER I decided to try a different approach. She loves hairball stuff. I covered the pill with that shoved it back of her throat, syringed water in her mouth then gave her a few pieces of dry cat food. It was a success!! I'm on day 2. My new questions are: Would a depo shot and metronidazole cause her not to be normal? She didn't have a bowel movement yesterday and only peed once (normally she pees twice a day but I've fed her fancy feast in the past). I've added water to the dry food and I've seen her drinking water. Should I be concerned? The vet ordered the wet Sensitive Stomach and it's not in yet but I'm going to give her both just so she doesn't get dehydrated.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried probiotics? I am sorry, but I do not remember if you are using them or not.

It could be the flora in her colon has run amuck due to all of the meds...

I used Proviable---script through Chewy, but many others here are using Renew Life...

okeelady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I ordered some through Amazon but won't get them til next week. I had some Fortiflora from my last cat that passed on but when I gave my last cat it she foamed at the mouth and I threw it away. I may have gotten a bad batch which I read could happen. I order Vetriscience probiotic chews which I've seen mentioned in here. I'll just keep trying. My funds are getting low between the vet, foods etc.