Can Someone Tell Me What This Sound Is?

Rei's Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
we just recently got a second cat. She's making this weird sound and I'm wondering if something is wrong with her. It's almost like she's coughing/hacking. She does this about 4-5 times a day for about 10-15 seconds. She sneezes from time to time too. No discharge or anything I've noticed. She eats, but not much. She drinks a lot of water. Vet papers state she's had one set of vaccines and is Felv-. She's about 9-10 weeks old. Is she possibly sick? Does she maybe have a hairball and can't get it out? Is it asthma? I've only had her a few days but I'm worried

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She may have a respiratory infection, which would need to be treated by a vet. Kittens don't shed enough to have hairballs until they blow their kitten coat and start growing their adult coat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rei's Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! Should I get my other cat checked too? I've tried to keep them separated but they like to snuggle each other

Attachments

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It certainly wouldn't hurt to have them both checked, especially if (like my vet) you're allowed to to take both cats into a single appointment ;) You have two gorgeous kitties there :loveeyes: and so sweet that they're so bonded already :redheartpump:

I agree with orange&white orange&white - a URI is the most likely culprit here, and that does need treatment. Mega :vibes: that your little one is better soon :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: Do keep us updated.

Rei's Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! Little one is called Soul (the man says she has old soulful eyes), she goes to the vet in the morning. Rei, my big baby and mega brat has her next appointment in about a week and a half. I'll ask the vet if they want to see her before that though

They'll sleep together with no problems but when they're awake they fight like crazy. I don't understand it but they're babies so I guess it's like when we were kids ourselves with our siblings lol

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is it possible the two of them are just playing rather than fighting? Cats play with each other by chasing, pouncing, wrestling etc - so long as it looks fairly equal (an easy example is that they might run through a room with Rei chasing Soul, then run back a little later with Soul chasing Rei ;) ) and neither is getting cornered then all is good :D I'd be very surprised that they'd sleep cuddling each other like that if there was any real issue or animosity between them :winkcat:

Also, with the age gap, it's pretty normal for Rei to put Soul in his place occasionally - like we might scold a kid who's misbehaved. After all, kittens (like kids) do love to push their luck from time to time :rolleyes:

Rei's Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Possibly. I figured with Soul doing a lot of crying and having her ears laid back that her and Rei are actually fighting. But I agree, I don't think they'd sleep so close if there were any real issues between them

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd ask about moving Rei's appointment up a week and a half and combine appointments if the vet will let you. For no other reason than it would save you a trip, and the vet might give you a discount like Columbine said.

Rei's Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Vet didn't have anything available today for Rei unfortunately. I'm going to call her normal vet on Monday. Soul has a minor upper respiratory infection and now has antibiotics. The ride home she decided my shoulder was a better spot than her carrier for a nap. Pic is after we stopped driving.

Attachments

Rei's Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So she now has a small fever, could it be because of the antibiotics?

Rei's Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay. I'm new to this so I'm not sure of anything. She's been sleeping off and on for about 4-5 hours now and has not eaten or dank any water. If I move her to the kitchen so I can try to feed her or make her drink she makes her way either to the living room couch or my bedroom and curls back up to sleep. She was literally just fine at the vet before I gave her the meds

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Going to the vet can be very stressful for kitties, some cats stress more than others. I'd just let her rest. She'll probably be hungry/thirsty later today.

Rei's Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your insight! These are the first cats I've owned since I was a kid so I still have lots to learn! I'll leave her to rest for now. I'm gonna move her to the other side of the couch so the man doesn't sit on her when he gets home (she likes the corner where she can't be seen) and just keep an eye on her and check her again probably before bed tonight

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How is dear little Soul feeling today? Did she get her appetite back after a bit of rest?

Rei's Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How is dear little Soul feeling today? Did she get her appetite back after a bit of rest?
She's feeling better. She's doing more nibbling instead of full on eating and she's drinking water. Thank you for asking!