Can someone recommend a pet gate for cats?

fishtreatsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here's my problem...I'm trying to integrate my feral (he's semi feral at this stage) into the household with 2 other resident cats. One of the resident cats is an alpha male who has torn the carpeting to shreds trying to get into the room where the feral is staying. Harley (my feral) is ready to come out and play with the cats but Monty (my alpha) is still being territorial. I keep the door open a couple inches at times and Monty is still trying to swat his face and howling. Sometimes I bring my other cat Zena into the room and she growls and hisses but she's an old cat and mainly wants to sleep. Harley on the other hand definately wants to play! He's rolling over and looking at her for signs of acceptance! BTW ALL the cats are fixed. Here's what I want to do...get a see thru gate to go between the bedroom door where Harley "lives" and the rest of the place... I've searched and searched the internet and there are only a few that are high --but I don't know if Monty will climb over a mesh gate or not or jump over a 41" gate? Has anyone got any ideas? I want Monty to get used to Harley and stop growling at him...I'm afraid if they are together he will attack Harley and Harley is such a gentle cat I don't want injuries.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could you use chicken wire? Affix it to the door frame or something.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A 10 year old cat we had jumped to the top of a 7' door one day... does that answer your question?

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some companies make portable screen doors. The problem is that they are made of light mesh, intended to discourage mosquitoes. A determined cat could get through them easily.

A closed door is the only sure way of deterring them from getting into something they want to get into.

lynann22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found, but haven't purchased a 'screen door' at Carol Wrights Gifts[emoji]174[/emoji][emoji]8482[/emoji] website. It is a lightweight screen door fastened with strong Velcro to door frame. The door opens and closes like a regular door. Can be folded and put away. Looks like a real screen door, however a cat person asked the cat question, can a cat get through the door around the corners? The reply: if the cat is strong enough they possibly could. I would imagine if a secure clasp was added on, from Home Depot, that the door maybe a good cat gate. It is $15. I will report back when I have installed mine and have my kits test it.