Can someone help me understand the quality (or lack thereof) of Purina One Smartblends Chicken Pate-

kitkaturday

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our cats get Weruva and Natural Balance wet food and are doing well. But I recently picked up a couple of cans of this Purina One formula and the cats liked it so much that I'm wondering whether it's good enough to get a bigger role.

This formula comes in about six flavors/textures, but the only one that did not have wheat gluten (or any grain at all, for that matter) is the Classic Chicken recipe in pate-style.

Ingredients:

Chicken, water sufficient for processing, liver, fish, meat by-products, artificial and natural flavors, corn oil, calcium phosphate, guar gum, added color, potassium chloride, salt, taurine, magnesium sulfate, Vitamin E supplement, thiamine mononitrate, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, niacin, sodium nitrite (to promote color retention), calcium pantothenate, Vitamin A supplement, copper sulfate, manganese sulfate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, biotin, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, potassium iodide.A-4321

Pros:

More easily available than Weruva and Natural Balance. I can get it at my 24-hour supermarket which is extremely helpful. 

It appears to be low-carb and grain-free. I say "appears to be" because usually that's something the manufacturers trumpet on their labels and then charge twice as much, and this doesn't mention anything like that in the marketing points. 

Cons:

Meat by-products in the ingredients list and maybe other undesirable ingredients, which is why I'm here to ask.

The cats like it just a leetle beet too much, which always makes me suspicious that it's kitty crack of questionable nutritional value. 

Pricewise, not a bargain. At the market, it cost $1 a can. At Petco, it was $.95. The only size is 3 oz. As fed, I think it comes out similar to the premium brands.

Thank you all so much. I'm so grateful for the expertise here on this board.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you are looking for a less expensive, easier to find grain free, have you tried Soulistic.  it's Petco's own brand, and it's what we used to convert our cats from kibble to canned before converting them to raw.  Comes in 6 or 8 flavors, and last time I bought them, the 5.5 oz cans were just about a buck! 

As to whether or not the Purina One canned is "ok", I, personally, would TRY to stick with grain free, and,yes, the by-products is questionable, but still, canned is better than kibble, and if it's what they'll eat, its certainly better than a canned food that's FIRST ingredient is by-products.  In a pinch, when mine were finicky, I fed them a lot worse than this Purina One (AND I fed them this also) 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kitkaturday

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I'm actually looking for convenience, since this is available in my local grocery and both Petsmart and Petco are pretty far away. I usually order online but it would be nice to know I have another good option if we run out. 

Meantime I took advantage of Petco's sale over the weekend and ordered some of the Soulistic. I got the free shipping, too. IIRC, in the past, canned foods used to be on the exclusions list for free shipping, but this time the cost was reasonable. Thanks for suggesting the Soulistic.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only issue I see is the added flavors, salt and dye, but other than that... It's pretty darn good.. I'm pleasantly surprised....
:think: :bigthumb:

P.s. Meat by-products I think have to come down to personal choice. You don't know what part of animals it's made up of, but it's NOT rendered so it doesn't contain 4D animals. And animals in the wild eat all parts of the animal, and when you feed raw, you basically do that too. So by-products can be good.. or they can be bad depending on the batch.
Up to you to choose. ^^

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not really a fan of the corn oil. For that price, availability, etc. you might as well go with Fancy Feast. It's not terrible but for that price I'd prefer to avoid vegetable oils.

sweetsadiecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
theirs a website called asksusanpeters.net that does cat food ingredients analysis.   she adds and deducts points-she give natural bal grain-free ,chicken & pea 8/10 rating but you will be surprised at some of the ratings of top name products.