Can Someone Help Identity This Type Of Cat

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Domestic short hair. The pattern is classic tabby - called also for marbled, blotched or bullseye tabby.

The color seems to be black and silver. Very nice.

On the first photo it seems to be a more ordinary brown tabby, but I think the second photo is more true.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Asapm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Domestic short hair. The pattern is classic tabby - called also for marbled, blotched or bullseye tabby.

The color seems to be black and silver. Very nice.

On the first photo it seems to be a more ordinary brown tabby, but I think the second photo is more true.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Asapm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you I was asking because the person who was selling me this kitten was claiming it was a Bangal cat, charging me a high price, how much do you think is fair on this kitten, I really was looking for a pet for my daughter.

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Without a side voew, it is difficult to tell if those beautiful kittens are bengal look-alikes. Maybe pictures from parents could give us a clue about if seller's claim about their bengal blood is true. I am almost 200% sure these are no purebreeds, that is as much as I can say from those pictures ;)

About the price, I would check how much is adopting fee in shelters of your area and offer a few dollars more only if cat will be dewormed and have fisrt vaccination. If you haven't fallen in love with any of the kitties, hiwever, I would just go to the shelter and pick a cat from there: the cat will be dewormed, spayed and have vaccinatios up to date. Otherwise, you are encouraging a backyard breeder to keep breeding unethically :(

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you I was asking because the person who was selling me this kitten was claiming it was a Bangal cat, charging me a high price, how much do you think is fair on this kitten, I really was looking for a pet for my daughter.
It doesn’t look like a Bengal, at least, no where near a full one. While Bengals do come in that marbled tabby pattern, the topview of these kittens is a giveaway, as their marbling is perfectly symmetric. Bengals have a random marbled pattern. They couldn’t claim to be purebred without papers, anyway.

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It doesn’t look like a Bengal, at least, no where near a full one. While Bengals do come in that marbled tabby pattern, the topview of these kittens is a giveaway, as their marbling is perfectly symmetric. Bengals have a random marbled pattern. They couldn’t claim to be purebred without papers, anyway.
:yeah:

I mean, some purebreed marbled bengals are symmetric, but that is not what breeders are supposed to look for and, therefore, those cats are not used for breeding. The smaller kitten is showing a subtle asymmetry in her neck's pattern, so there may be some more at the sides, but the big one is pretty symmetric.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I agree they would have papers if a pedigree . Kittens look like my Gracie - who is a beautiful, spoilt, tabby coloured moggy

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It would be good to have a good pic of their sides. But what is visible, seems to be quite an ordinary bulls eye pattern, its not the assymetrical marlbles of a marbled bengal.

Technically, its the same gene, although purebred and refined in marbled bengals. It detoriates quickly enough in following generations if mixed with non bengals. Tabby is a strong gene, so mated with non tabbies it survives many generations.
Mated with other tabbies, the classic tabby is recessive to them, so the other tabby types dominate and take over.

Its quite common classic tabbies are presented as having Bengal ancestry. And sometimes they do have. Especielly if its not bulls eye, but asymmetrical swivrles we use to tell this cat is a natural grandchild and sometimes even natural child...

Here, what is less usual, is they are black and silver. It does happens among moggies, but isnt very common. While its another typical trait of marbled bengals.

So, I say as these above: if you hadnt attached to one of them as yet, or get good proof of recent bengal ancestry, buy your kitten from a shelter. Its also cheaper in the long run, as they will get most vet errands done for the price.

We instinctively want to support good no kill shelters. But a twist is, to buy from a pond where they ARE killed if unsold quickly enough.
They arent stupid, they know they are in the Death Row waiting for the gas chamber... And thus, typically they are gratefully to their new owner.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It doesn't look like a Bengal to me - and you shouldn't buy any cat as a pedigree unless you can see papers.

Also make sure if buying from a breeder to look for an ethical breeder - they will typically want to interview you about your suitability and (if you are suitable) to match you to a kitten, and won't home a kitten with you until it has been properly vaccinated (so 12 weeks or older - possibly up to 16 weeks though) and possibly neutered. They will likely make you sign a contract of some sort, covering what would happen in the event that you couldn't keep the cat, getting it neutered if it had not been done prior to you taking it home, that sort of thing.

If someone just offered to sell you "Bengal Kittens" without any of that, they are possibly not trustworthy.