Can Someone Explain Stomatitis?

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Im getting confused on the difference between this and tooth decay etc. Is it related? Ironically 2 of my cats (litter mates) both had trouble with eat their dry food and were drooling. So i took them and and Mittens had one canine removed. Alabaster had both :(
I have other cats and worried as Stomatitis is contagious?
The vet did not mention Stomatitis. Just that the tooth were bad and needed to come out. Mittens is doing good and Alabaster just had his out today. But his appetite is good.
Both are on clavamox.
I have tried to look at the other cats teeth. and some are getting red gums and do have plaque on their teeth. But i noticed Rockie looks like she has a small dark red bump on her gums.
I have already have spent over $600 for their visits. How do they diagnose stomatitis?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Stomatitis is basically diagnosed by how the mouth looks. It goes beyond just irritation caused by tarter. The cause isn't fully understood but is believed to be autoimmune in nature. What You Need to Know About Stomatitis in Cats Full tooth extractions is the usual treatment and clears up the issue in the majority of cats. Some cats continue to have issues even after having their teeth pulled. Stomatitis is not contagious. The teeth themselves aren't necessarily bad. It is a generalized inflammation of the soft tissue in the mouth.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I assume it's more mouth then teeth. I read it can spread via water dishes or food bowls.
It's so weird that they would both have issues the same week? And I noticed the other cats too. Could a change in food cause it or stress?
Or should I chalk it up to irony and that they are the same age?
I'm going to order some toothpaste and try to keep them cleaner now.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well this past week, Alabaster has been eating slower and not finsishing his food. So we took him in today. The dr actually said they didnt look bad. What other symptoms are there with stomatitis? he acts like he has something in his mouth and kinda coughs or sounds like he isnt getting air.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stomatitis is an auto-immune disease; their immune system attacks their teeth. So there's extreme inflammation and a lot of pain.

Did you have bloodwork done? It doesn't really sound like a mouth problem.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Stomatitis is an auto-immune disease; their immune system attacks their teeth. So there's extreme inflammation and a lot of pain.

Did you have bloodwork done? It doesn't really sound like a mouth problem.
they did do bloodwork, liver, kidneys are fine no signs of diabetes. He has been slow eating his dry food for awhile. But no problems with wet food. until this past day or 2. It seems its harder for him though it can depend as some pates are not as smooth. he still does a lot of air chewing and tilts his head when eating and acting as if he has a hair in his mouth or something. But his mouth doesnt seem to be has inflamed like i have seen in others(pictures online)
They gave him a steroid injection and sent him home with Clindamycin(antibiotic) to see if that helps
They did mention bringing him in to check his throat. I did give him some dry food(smaller pieces that were easier for him to eat) so wondering if that was causes a tummy issue/and the coughing or gagging he seems to be doing. as they just started last night or so.