Can someone explain my feral kitten's behavior?

bunnelina

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi there, I hope someone can give us a clue about our schizo, skittish kitten, Wendy.

We adopted a Wendy, a calico kitten, from a feral foster home about six weeks ago. She's now 4 months old. She was terrified of people when we met her, but was civilized about it: never any hissing, growling, biting, or scratching. Just big scared eyes, cringing, and trying to bolt. We brought her home and kept her in a big crate for a week or so to help her acclimate. She settled down nicely. I helped her learn to play and even got her purring by purring at her myself. We handled her gently and she would lie in our laps on her back, purring as we'd pet her. Great, we thought, she likes us.

When she wanted to explore, we let her out of the crate and she discovered hiding. She would bolt from us and we'd try to catch her without freaking her out — she needed medication and she also needed more handling. Every time we hold and stroke her, she melts in our arms and purrs loudly. But 10 seconds after we put her down, she looks at us like we're evil predators and races away. If we get within 6 feet of her, she runs.

It's making us doubt her intelligence. We adopted another feral kitten 2 weeks after Wendy and he's a snugglepuss. He and Wendy are pals. He's already a lap cat. We also have two elderly cats who are in full command of us.

We'll find all four cats dozing on our bed, and only Wendy notices we're in the doorway and goes diving under the bed. At mealtimes, she keeps her distance from us, too. What can we do to help her get over this?

We don't handle her a whole lot because she has ringworm. But we make a point of holding her at least once a day (besides the times she gets her meds) to get her purring and relaxed. She can leave us whenever she wants. She always sticks around for more stroking.

It's true that she's letting us get a little closer — mere inches — day by day, and sometimes she doesn't take off if I get near her. But this business of dashing off in terror mere seconds after purring herself into a happy stupor has us stumped. What's going on here?

A friend suggested that she dashes off when we get close enough for her to smell us, and that when we hold her, she's overwhelmed by our scent and doesn't freak out. It's an interesting theory, but it doesn't help us much.

Thanks for your insights!

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My guess - her instinct is warring with her new experiences. Instinct tells her to run, while her latest experiences with you tell her you're ok and actually nice to have around. When you're not actually touching her and supporting the new "you're nice" factor, her instincts win out.

When you've got her in your hands and are petting and stroking her, her instincts lose under the pleasure of your hands.

My youngest are about 14-15 months old and have been with me for just about a year; they are both still skittish at times. Spencer, especially, has a really hard time with the "to run, to not to run" aspect. It is because of his behavior that I came to the "instinct vs. new experiences" theory. He KNOWS I'll never hurt him, that, in fact, my hands are full of comfort and pleasure, but sometimes, he just can't help himself and off he goes.

Time is the only factor that will change this. He's much calmer than he was. If I had to do it all over again, I would keep him and his littermates in the bathroom for another two weeks to truly solidify the "she's not going to hurt us no matter how close to us she gets" factor. Once they were released from the confinement, instinct won out entirely and I had to wait for them to come to me - a much longer process.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It might take a few days in a small, solitary room for her to get over the bolting. That seems to calm them down very quickly.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of the worst things you can do while trying to socialize a feral cat is to force yourself on them. There are a few things that will scare an unsocialized cat: staring them directly in their eyes (if you catch there eye, slowly blink your own), towering over them (sit on the floor), and going after them (let them come to you).

If you have her confined to a bedroom or something, go into that room, sit on the floor with a book and read aloud to her. Bring a wand toy to entice her to come to you. If she comes out, hold out your hand slowly to see if she is willing to come up to you, and if not, don't grab her. Put a box in the corner with the opening facing a wall and put a shirt that smells like you in that box. Give her a place to hide that smells like you to get her used to you.

If she's on medication and you have to force yourself on her, then keep her in a cage or small bathroom for a while until you are done with it.

6 weeks is not a long time for a feral born kitten to adjust. Some can take an extremely long time while others can socialize the moment you pick them up. Go on her schedule, give her credit for the little things, and have a tremendous amount of patience with her. She will reward you with her love, but it may just take a little longer than you would like.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

One of the worst things you can do while trying to socialize a feral cat is to force yourself on them. There are a few things that will scare an unsocialized cat: staring them directly in their eyes (if you catch there eye, slowly blink your own), towering over them (sit on the floor), and going after them (let them come to you).

If you have her confined to a bedroom or something, go into that room, sit on the floor with a book and read aloud to her. Bring a wand toy to entice her to come to you. If she comes out, hold out your hand slowly to see if she is willing to come up to you, and if not, don't grab her. Put a box in the corner with the opening facing a wall and put a shirt that smells like you in that box. Give her a place to hide that smells like you to get her used to you.

If she's on medication and you have to force yourself on her, then keep her in a cage or small bathroom for a while until you are done with it.

6 weeks is not a long time for a feral born kitten to adjust. Some can take an extremely long time while others can socialize the moment you pick them up. Go on her schedule, give her credit for the little things, and have a tremendous amount of patience with her. She will reward you with her love, but it may just take a little longer than you would like.

here is a website done by one of our TCS veterans...

http://www.feralcatbehavior.com/ that may give you some extra insight .. it is in blog format

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're huge, she's not. That's one of the things that scares a lot of cats - feral or not.

Interact with her more on the floor. Never corner her or pull her out from anything unless absolutely necessary. That said, you might want to block off hiding areas such as under the bed - anywhere that she could hide that would be very difficult to get her from in an emergency. Provide some other hiding areas and let her claim those - boxes, cat furniture, a closet, etc.
Always move slowly around her whenever possible, it'll help to not make her as nervous.

Cat treats or even safe human foods. These are great for luring any cat closer and eventually winning them over.

I have three I'm taming right now. None of them like me standing, but because I move slowly they don't flip out. I have one that's very tame, one in the middle, and one who's very timid. The timid one is a challenge, she's not only more timid and sensitive with me but with her brother and sister, too. Her type just take more time.
One of their favorite games, and best from luring them closer, is chasing a string. Unlike wand toys, you can make a string several feet long to start with. Each time I play with them I make them come a little closer to get the string - until I only have 3-4" that I wiggle between my fingers. That progresses into the kittens sniffing, licking, then nibbling on my fingers.

The only problem is the tame kitten is string crazy and will climb all over me and her siblings because she must have it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bunnelina

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

You're huge, she's not. That's one of the things that scares a lot of cats - feral or not.:
Thanks for all these tips. I feel like less of a loser, because we have been trying most of this stuff. But I've learned something from each of you.

I've been very aware, since the kittens arrived, that we seem at least as big to them as King Kong did to Faye Wray (or Naomi Watts, depending on your taste). It's amazing that all cats aren't terrified of us. We try to move slowly and we never chase her. When we need to medicate her, which is two to four times a day now, my husband and I work as a team and slowly and strategically corner her until one of us can reach down and pick her up. As soon as we stroke her, she purrs and relaxes for awhile. Sometimes, when we can get her, we just cuddle with her and she loves it. That's the part we don't understand... she adores being held and petted, and then she takes off.

We notice she's not making us work as hard at catching her these days. Since we're giving her terrible-tasting medicine and putting cream on her sore ears (ringworm), we don't blame her for avoiding us. She has every right to hate us for taking her to the groomer for stinking lime-sulfur dips every week, too. So at least we're on her wavelength: We realize we're horrible, too! We can't wait for this ringworm treatment to be over, hopefully well before spring. It's not helping her learn to trust us at all.

She occasionally eats while we're in the kitchen with her now. Our kitchen has a tiny floor area, just big enough for four munching cats and two humans to stand, so that's an accomplishment. We can't isolate or confine anyone in this small apartment, and the kittens are so bonded they'd freak out if we separated them. The kittens have even bonded with our old cats, and that's a miracle. We don't want to do anything to affect that.

I'm going to see if I can make a little hiding-place box for Wendy that can survive my intensive ringworm cleaning, and see if it makes her happy. She has her favorite hangouts, but I think it's a great idea.

Thank you, all, again! I really love this kitten and I can tell she's going to have an interesting, complex adult personality. I just hope we can help her realize that she owns us and can trust us and get affection whenever she wants it. If you have any more advice, please send it along. And I'll be looking more in-depth at that amazing feral cat blog. Wow~

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bunnelina

I'm going to see if I can make a little hiding-place box for Wendy that can survive my intensive ringworm cleaning, and see if it makes her happy. She has her favorite hangouts, but I think it's a great idea.
I'm not sure if the pictures are still up, but you should PM Skippymjp about his tupper lair.
He used plastic storage bins to make cat furniture - perfect for those who would need to sanitize against ringworm.