Can someone explain mu female cat's behavoir toward my male cat?

myfamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is about 6 years old, and he is about 11 years old. This has been going on for quite some time. She acts like she wants my male cat to show affection to her. She puts her head down for my male cat to lick, and then when she's had enough affection from him, she hisses and slaps him in the face. My poor male doesn't know what to make of it. When I first got her, her (when she was 5 months old) and my male cat and her played all the time. They slept together in the same bed, they wrestled on the floor, they were inseparable. But then she seemed to stop liking him because he would often kick her out of chairs that she was sleeping in, etc. He is bit of a bully that way. So after a few months of bliss they stopped playing together, and stopped sleeping together. I don't understand her behavior where she wants his affection sometimes, and then immediately hisses and slaps him in the face when he's done. Is this normal? I used to have another female cat, and she did the same thing to this same male cat. The latter female cat has since passed away, sadly. But she did the same darn thing to him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

myfamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
here I was all excited about getting a response, and it's only 4 words. But yes, they are fixed.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ever hear of a person (usually a female) being accused of being or acting "catty"?  There's a reason that particular word is used.

"She puts her head down for my male cat to lick, and then when she's had enough affection from him, she hisses and slaps him in the face."

myfamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If possible, I would edit my post because it is poorly written with too much extraneous stuff. But I can't find an edit feature. Basically my girl cat bows her head and encourages my boy cat to lick the top of her head, and I'm over there like awwww she loves him. But then when she's had enough of it she hisses and slaps him. You'd think my  boy cat would be like, oh no I'm not falling for that again, but he licks her and gets punished for it again and again.

myfamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes I have heard of a person being catty. I have never heard of a cat being called catty.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
When did the other female pass? Did you previously own two females and a male? If so, it is possible that she is just acting this way because of grief for a lost friend. 

I'm sorry that my previous post was not very long, but whether a cat is fixed or not is an important question to ask, as whole cats can be prone to more behavioral issues because of raging hormones. 

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yes I have heard of a person being catty. I have never heard of a cat being called catty.
I just laughed when I read that sentence about how your female cat treats the male because my first thought was "She's acting catty toward your boy".  Same as how you can be petting some cats and they are purring away, then in an instant they turn around and bite you.  "Catty" behavior, but literally talking about cat behavior.