Can somebody tell me what's wrong with this cat? (Sore on nose)

sacsupernerd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is a neighborhood alley cat that kind of adopted me. I let it in the house when it's cold and feed it sometimes, he's sneezing all the time and has a sore on his nose, i just found out cat's can get all kinds of infections transmissible to humans and wanted to know if it obviously looks like something known/contagious.... i'm pretty pore, but i'm using my stimulus check to get the cat taken to the vet though, he's an old cat, like 14 years old, and he shouldn't have to go out like that, alley cat or not ;-(

Attachments

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww! Most kitty illnesses are not transmissible to humans. It kind of looks like something wounded his nose but with the sneezing it could be something else. I am seeing a huge amount of posts about kitty colds and allergies this year. If there is a feral rescue group near you, they may be able to assist. I would consider this to be qualified as a kitty needing help. The nose seems really swollen on one side. I am so sorry! I am also very grateful the kitty has you to help! I am guessing some antibiotics are in line. Most vets understand circumstances if you explain. Perhaps one will go ahead and treat the kitty now. I don’t know where you live and things are different everywhere right now but some Humane Societies and shelters might be able to guide you with vet help. If nothing else can be managed, sending those photos in to the vet you find could bring about a prescription for him. Some vets have websites, accept texts and emails. He really needs some relief with this.
Furballsmom Furballsmom Any suggestions here as to vet assistance?
Thank you so much for helping this sweet stray! You are his life line!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found another thread with some informational links to help with vet bills. I don’t know if any of it will help that kitty but you certainly deserve some assistance for giving that kitty so much love! If you can, keep him inside from now on. At his age he needs the shelter and love you have to offer. If he isn’t neutered yet, he would benefit from that. Click on the link I am putting here and then read down to the post with other links to Waggle and other sources for help. If you cannot find help, please let us know and please keep us updated on how kitty is doing. You came to a place where we all care.
Needing Advice

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sacsupernerd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
it usually scabs up into a bloody brown orange or pink scab that falls off from sneezing, i don't know if any vets can give a discount or something because i fear it may be expensive. i have no problem spending the money, even on an old cat, probably especially then, because it really affects his quality of life, plus he's got flea's, was going to get hip flea dipped and groomed too.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I'm sorry I'm late, but here is some information that may be of use;

Try something here (apologies for any dead links);

Financial Assistance – Day By Day Caregiver Support Inc.

Financial Aid for Pets -
Bestfriends

No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat’s Life – Cat Articles

About Waggle | Vet Financial Assistance | Financial Aid For Pets
Waggle is the only pet-dedicated crowd-funding platform that partners directly with leading veterinary providers to reduce economic euthanasia in pets.

Financial assistance for veterinary care costs
Advice and options for pet owners who may be struggling to pay for their pet's care.
vma.org

Last edited:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fleas aren’t helping. You can put him on a light colored towel and mix some Dawn dish liquid in a cup of water to try dipping a fine toothed comb into the water and combing the fleas out. If any get on the comb just submerge it into the soapy water to drown them. They tend to jump off onto light colored towels so watch for them and pop them into the cup as well. It’s not going to solve the flea issue but it will buy you some time.