Can Premium White Chicken(the Kind Sold In Cans) Be Making My Cat Sick?

catsforlife

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has had some problems with vomiting in the past, and I'm thinking he may have FIP as all his blood work is good and he's been sleeping much more and not playing the last couple of months. The vet is currently looking into everything regarding that....
However, recently I wanted to entice his appetite more and so I bought a couple of cans of canned white chicken in water. I'm sure you've seen the cats, it comes in the same type of can as tuna cans. Anyway, prior to 2 nights ago he had been playing much more than he had been looking better for 3 or 4 days.... For food, I was giving him like 3 different types of food at the same time: fancy feast, Hills Urgent Care A/D, and also a good amount of of that chicken in a can. but 3 hours later of doing so well, he got really sick, some diarrhea, and lots of vomiting, both food and brown bile looking stuff. He was listless etc....He got better yesterday and so I continued the same diet, thinking that him getting suddenly sick had to be associated with the FIP. Now he got sick again today, not quite as bad as Friday Night, but still vomited 2 or 3 times. Although he was still begging for the chicken 15 minutes after throwing up today(strange cat lol). Keep in mind that he was eating the same 3 foods again today. I'm just wondering if it's possible that him so badly sick was from the canned chicken or not....
FIP is tough because so many of the symptoms are symptoms of other conditions etc....Anyway, thoughts on this? He LOVES the canned chicken so much. Even with the lowered appetite he still eats the chicken.. Thoughts?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsforlife

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
would chicken allergy also apply to science diet chicken dry formula? Because I know he's been on that as well as the wet food... I tried to bring up the "allergy" thingy with my vet and she just told me that something like that is extremely rare and then she didn't discuss it anymore with me...

Hey therr0789

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Anything with chicken as the ingredient possibly. How long have you been feeding the canned chicken? Has your cat been sick before then on a chicken protein cat food?

Hey therr0789

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If your cat will eat one over the other I'd stick to one food so you can rule out the vomiting. Kitty may be nauseous.

catsforlife

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the responses. A week and 1/2 ago, he had a swollen lymph node on the left side of his body. That swollen lymph node has been gone for a week now, but I'm still having them do an ultra-sound tomorrow morning just to make sure they don't seen anything Lymphoma wise. Although I've had cats with lymphoma before, and they went downhill drastically and didn't have sudden improvements out of the blue. The problem is, when he was feeling better for those 3 days, I can't remember what I was feeling him as I had given him both fish and chicken during that time, but maybe more fish. Anyway, another cause of inflamed lymph nodes is viral and bacteria infections, which is what I'm going to ask the vet about next tomorrow if the ultra-sound comes out clear....

Not sure if I even want to even bring up food allergy with her tomorrow since she says it's extremely rare... Also, the vomiting and diarrhea always seem to come at the same time and he's super gassy with lots of stomach gurgling noises......

Moderator: feel free to move this post to the "health" section if you feel it's more appropriate.

Hey therr0789

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Could need antacid. If kitty has lack of appetite ask about an appetite stimulant if you haven't before.

catsforlife

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had given him 1/4 of a tablet of Mirtazapine for a couple of weeks, but I didn't care for the side effects. Yea he ate more, but he looked listless and restless shortly after taking that medication.

catsforlife

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He also wanted to sleep more than eat after taking Mirtazapine as well, even though it was only 1/4 of a 15mg tablet...

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you checked the sodium level on the canned chicken? Could be high and that affected him or just the new food or the combo of foods or an issue with him, hard to say. If he likes chicken, go buy some breasts and cook them up for him yourself. It's not at all a balanced diet so don't feed as a majority, only as a treat amount.