Can Pet Them But What's Next?

MCKittyMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hoping to get some guidance and tips about what to do next with my three adopted feral kitties. I think they are somewhere between 5-6 months old at this point. They showed up in our yard mid-August and Mama (also feral) would come around and allow them to nurse -- but they were very active and growing fast. There were four originally and now we have three -- one went to rescue.

A little background of how we got here: I have always loved cats but developed an allergy to them years ago and sadly have kept my distance ever since. I figured the best I could do for these kitties was get them into rescue so they could go to a good home and have a happy life. All the shelters I checked were full so while we waited for an opening -- they basically lived in our backyard (kitty cave in our berry bushes), kept them fed/watered but fearing my allergies - I also kept a safe distance. They would run on sight so that was easy to do. I was fortunate to network with a local lady who volunteered with feral cat rescue. She urged me to get the kitties trapped and to the vet for spay/neuter ASAP and she would help get them placed in rescue. I lured the four kitties into carriers with food and the mission was a success! She also urged me to start working with the kitties to get them socialized so they could be successfully adopted. I had been avoiding contact (my allergies) but since I hadn't been overcome with symptoms -- maybe it would be possible for me to manage contact and keep them outdoors. Not sure if my allergies have lessened or even subsided -- but so far so good.

Since food was our link -- I figured I could build from there so I started feeding sessions with the babies ... sitting on a yoga mat on the patio floor - I offered them food from my hand. It worked! I kept up with this morning and evening but since there were four kitties - decided a bowl would work better. Gradually, I started petting them while they were feeding and kept that up so all of them were involved. Even with the yoga mat - that ground was hard -- I wanted to make it more comfy so I could stay longer with them. I set up in my patio chair and coaxed them into my lap to eat and have petting sessions. The trust is building and they are pretty used to this now. So much so that they run to our spot and start getting into position before I am even ready. :)

They all have names and distinct personalities for sure. Squeaky (was the runt) and she is the most attached to me at this point. She comes to the back sliding door throughout the day and looks for me - if I go out there for another feeding session - she will happily get in my lap to eat even when there is already food in their bowl (I put food in their bowl after we finish with our lap sessions). I realize she is seeking my attention and that really warms my heart. She is very vocal and was the first one to talk for the group (asking for food in the morning). Our little boy Bowie - who has always been the shyest one - is starting to do the same and he likes to talk too. He tends to follow his sister Squeaky's lead. These two are my tiger babies. And then there is Furbie who is an exotic looking longhair female who the vet said is a dilute tortie. She has always been the most outgoing - comfortable in our presence and the first to try everything. She has never made a sound -- not one peep - so odd! She doesn't crave petting as much as the other two but will tolerate it. I think she senses the growing connection between me and the other two though -- and I have noticed she is more attentive lately. Maybe a little jealousy? There was a fourth little boy named TuTu but we did place him with rescue ... Bowie was planned to go too but I could not get him in the carrier!

(L-R: Squeaky, Furbie and Bowie)

My husband and I first decided we would keep Furbie ... and then Squeaky to keep her company. After Bowie wouldn't get in the carrier that day, we decided he should stay too. They are so used to being together -- I'm glad not to put them through another separation -- they were really out of sorts when TuTu disappeared (and I was sad too). Since I work from home ... I can spend time throughout the day with the kitties - so I have primarily been the one making contact and my husband is not as much in our circle of trust - yet. He does spend time playing with them in the evening - they love the teasing wands - especially Furbie (seen below spying on me through the dining room window).

Anyway, I'm hoping to keep progressing with building our relationship and eventually be able to handle them, pick them up, etc. with ease and fully overcome their shyness of being feral born. Should I keep going with the lap feeding and somehow try to graduate to picking them up?? I've heard of grabbing them (with gloves) and clutching them to your chest -- but I feel like that is a tactic for a smaller kitten rather than one that would work well at the size they are now?? That sounds so extreme and I fear it would be a set back ... I hope there is a way to accomplish that more gently and naturally.

Sorry - guess this got a bit long - I hope it helps though to have the background and progress story. Any tips, insight, etc. are greatly appreciated! Thanks for listening ...

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for rescuing these sweet sweet kitties. You have done so much for them.

Are they still living outside? If so is there any way, you could bring them inside for safer living? Outside living is so very hard and dangerous. I realize you have allergies so that may not be an option. Yet you could build or have a catio built where they could be outside, but in a safe environment. You can do an internet search on catios and search by image.

As far as the next step, just keep playing with them. Play therapy is a very valuable tool. It teaches them self confidence. There is a theory called Hunt, Catch, Kill, Eat, Groom, Sleep. You want to play with the kitties so they wear themselves out. That is the hunt, catch, kill. A wand toy ( such as da bird) works great for this. After a thorough play sesion, you want to offer a small meal or special snack to satisfy the Eat. This is a very very important step as when cats catch prey, they eat it as their reward. Next, if the play session was tiring and they had a bit to eat, most cats will groom themselves ( or you can try brushing them) and then take a nap.

Have you tried brushing them? Most kitties will love the brush. You can start with something small such as a tooth brush and work up to a regular cat brush.

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
^ great info offered by shadowsrescue shadowsrescue

MCKittyMom MCKittyMom your babies are beautiful! You are fortunate indeed. i would have loved to adopted my guys at younger ages, but not so.

My 2 ex ferals are just not lap kitties, i'm aware they'll likely never become "snuggly". They tolerate moderate petting but with no tolerance for further close touchy/feely stuff.

As they are both ex-stray (each developed feral tendencies to some degree) I guess it comes with the territory. I both recognize and respect their need for "space" from human touch and interaction.
And I'm ok with that, as more importantly, they are safe, sound and secure **indoor EX-ferals** now.

CHATTY KATTY HOME

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's wonderful what your doing, despite having allergies in the past, these beautiful kitties are truly blessed to have you and your husband

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If they will sit on your lap you have made GREAT progress. I think the rest will come with time and patience on your part and theirs. Slow and steady...
What a great looking family!! Glad you are keeping them together.

You should take a step back for a minute and see what we see...how happy their eyes look.

In a quiet moment,when you are all together, listen and I'll bet you can hear their thank you and just feel them returning all that love!

Please keep us posted

anni7

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If they will sit on your lap you have made GREAT progress. I think the rest will come with time and patience on your part and theirs. Slow and steady...
What a great looking family!! Glad you are keeping them together.

You should take a step back for a minute and see what we see...how happy their eyes look.

In a quiet moment,when you are all together, listen and I'll bet you can hear their thank you and just feel them returning all that love!

Please keep us posted
Friend has allergies but only if in closed space - she was ok otherwise but developed anaphylaxis from having cat in an apartment so had to give the cat away after that