Can my Grandma's cat's Soresto flea collar be causing these symptoms?

sparklycoconut

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Grandmother has a 9 year old female and she is not in good shape. She has sores around her neck and i read recently that that can be caused by flea collars. I removed the flea collar and will be keeping a close eye on her neck from now on. She also has been dealing with respiratory issues. She often crouches low to the ground and starts wet wheezing. I even thought she might have asthma. For a long time my Grandma would say it's hairballs but i don't think it is. The cat's ears are also freezing cold, the inside of her ears are smelly and leaky too. She is still pretty playful though. If I pull out a laser, she will chase it. She's a little more cuddly than normal. She also has been thrown up twice in the past few days. I'm worried she might be dying in which case I want to comfort her. Or do you think she is having a poisoning reaction from her collar.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Grandmother has a 9 year old female and she is not in good shape. She has sores around her neck and i read recently that that can be caused by flea collars. I removed the flea collar and will be keeping a close eye on her neck from now on. She also has been dealing with respiratory issues. She often crouches low to the ground and starts wet wheezing. I even thought she might have asthma. For a long time my Grandma would say it's hairballs but i don't think it is. The cat's ears are also freezing cold, the inside of her ears are smelly and leaky too. She is still pretty playful though. If I pull out a laser, she will chase it. She's a little more cuddly than normal. She also has been thrown up twice in the past few days. I'm worried she might be dying in which case I want to comfort her. Or do you think she is having a poisoning reaction from her collar.
It seems that your cat needs a visit at the vets'.
Her breathing issues must be dealt with, it could be asthma or an allergy to something in the air/environment.
Her ears have to be checked, there could be an inner infection, a fungus, a yeast, a parasite, whatever thing that is causing her problem and discomfort.

As for the collar, yes, on some cats the Seresto collar can give skin reactions. It happened to one of my yard cats too, but after a few weeks all was fine, and he's been wearing that collar for years now. The other yard cats, and other cats at the local shelter, never had any problem with it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I agree 100% with everything said above. I sincerely doubt she is dying, at least not from anything you have described, but she certainly should be checked over by a vet and her issues addressed and treated.

9 years old makes her a senior cat, and since the older a cat gets the more likely for illnesses/diseases to show up, routine vet check ups are essential.