Can My Cat Wear A E-collar Unsupervised?

solowars

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I posted here yesterday about a claw injury, and my girl Hammy has since seen the vet. Basically she has a claw on each hind paw that has split to the quick, but the vet thinks it'll heal up just fine. Instructions are to soak her paws in chlorohexidine twice a day. She gave me a topical antibiotic after I expressed that I was worried about infection, although the vet thinks it isn't actually necessary to apply the antibiotic, but if I do apply it, she has to wear a e-collar.

This is the first time Hammy has worn one, and my questions are:

(1) does she have to wear the e-collar for the whole day? she doesn't worry or lick at her claws unless I've put the antibiotic on. Is it ok if I leave the e-collar on for a couple of hours after applying the antibiotic, then take it off once I'm sure she won't lick at her paws?

(2) if it is better for the e-collar to be kept on 24/7, will she be alright given that I'm gone the whole day for work and no one will be at home? She's doing ok so far, just bumbling around and looking mad, but I'm worried she might get stuck in something and injure herself. She is indoors only.

(3) alternatively, I was thinking that maybe I could put on the antibiotic, wait a few hours, then wipe her paws with a damp cloth to make sure there's no more antibiotic for her to lick at?

Note: I live alone so she will be without supervision in the day for up to 12 hours, and the e-collar worries me. Her e-collar extends quite far past her nose because she is very agile and would be able to reach her hind legs with a shorter collar, and it seems to be difficult for her to drink water or eat food with it on.

I know I should've just asked the vet, but I didn't think of it until I got home and the vet is closed now...

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your number 3 option is probably fine. Usually people leave it on all the time unless you are prepared to watch her every single movement. That is the point of the e collar, to be left on at all times, just take it off for dinner or play while you watch her. If you leave it on all the time I would confine her to a smaller area of the house so she doesn't get into any trouble.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm pretty much in favor of #3, as well. Just keep an eye on the toes for any swelling or other abnormalities, but don't fret about it. This is more a "due dilligence" than a "worry" situation.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've left the cone on all day and my cat was fine with it. The cone did get in the way of using bowls but I wasn't worried since I don't leave food out during the day and my cat hardly drinks from the water bowl.

If your cat will let you, maybe put a baby sock or loosely wrapped gauze over the paw to keep the cat from licking it.