Can my cat have fip?

luckythecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've taken my cat lucky to the vet after the last week she hasn't been acting well she started eating less hiding by herself being quiet and drinking more water than usual the vet said it looks like fip and gave her a few days to a week to live but I noticed slight improvements she's eating a little more and is a bit more active since she's been on antibiotics and prednisone for the last 2-3 days and she's meowing a bit more at me when I talk to her but she's still not completely herself like before (she's usually very active playful lovable and full of life) on a scale of 1-10 I'd say she's about a 4 maybe a 5 on how she's doing
The vet said it looks like dry fip based on her symptoms (it's hard to diagnose dry fip) he said but could it be something else that's treatable? With similar symptoms as fip but less serious she's been like this for 6 or 7 days now she hasn't worsened as I mentioned earlier she has made small improvements does this mean she's fighting it off? I have heard of cats living a few months to a few years with dry fip and some even recovered I'm planning to put her on medicines called "polyprenyl immunostimulant"
And a second one called "interferon" would this help her live longer or even save her life along with what she's taking? (She's on prednisone and an antibiotic")
I'm also giving her wet food to keep her weight up to be exact she's eating fancy fest at the moment
She usually eats dry cat food but she's also eating cat treats as well she's still eating but very little and oh yeah she was dehydrated had a fever of 105 she is also is anemic but she became anemic from whatever is going on but her fever has went down her gums are a pink/black color and she is a older cat I'm not sure of her exact age she came to me as a stray in 2008 and when I took her to the vet back then she had non of this and the doc said she's in perfect health but now since the last past 6 or 7 days she hasn't been herself I'm really hoping it's not fip could she have been misdiagnosed? And also she came to me as an adult cat so she's an older cat can this possibly be old age or something else treatable I'm going to put her on the other meds I mentioned above also will having her on 4 meds harm her? If anyone has had a similar experience please share with me all help is appreciated and also her name is lucky please do keep her in your prayers all help is needed thanks to all and I'm so sorry if you have experienced this in the pastor

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dry FIP is very difficult to diagnose, in fact it is impossible to get a definitive diagnosis.  Was blood work done?  Those it is impossible to get a definitive diagnoses there are markers with globulin and protein levels that make it a greater possibility.  Testing for the corona virus antibodies is pretty useless because the virus is actually very common in cats.  I know there has been work done on a PCR test that would find the mutated virus which would be definitive but I don't think it has been perfected and made available yet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luckythecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dry FIP is very difficult to diagnose, in fact it is impossible to get a definitive diagnosis.  Was blood work done?  Those it is impossible to get a definitive diagnoses there are markers with globulin and protein levels that make it a greater possibility.  Testing for the corona virus antibodies is pretty useless because the virus is actually very common in cats.  I know there has been work done on a PCR test that would find the mutated virus which would be definitive but I don't think it has been perfected and made available yet.
bloodwork was done but we're both still not sure exactly what it could be but I'm thinking since she has been like this for about a week like I mentioned and hasn't worsened could it be that she has a upper respiratory infection or something similar that's less serious if it is dry fip how long does it take to worsen? I'm new to this disease I didn't know what it was until the vet mentioned it and said quote "it's likely she has it but there's no way to tell for sure"

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here is one good article explaining it http://www.askthecatdoctor.com/feline-fip.html   This does talk about it being most common in kittens which is true but it does also occur in adult cats.  With adult cats it is usually the older kitties.  I am thinking it is probably the immune system weakening as the kitty gets older the same as it does in humans.  Kind of like someone carrying the chicken pox virus all through their adult life and then developing shingles when they are older.

I think the vet is basing his probable diagnosis on anemia coupled  with a fever which is  very concerning.  I take it  your kitty has been checked for FIV and FeLV.  

Really a wait and see approach is about all  you can do.  Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done for FIP if that is what your kitty has, it is a matter of getting to the point of realizing that FIP is very likely what your kitty has.  I  know there is information about things that are supposed to help on  the internet but unfortunately none of them have been proven to be beneficial.  It is an awful, cruel disease and one which we have absolutely no control over.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luckythecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's seen the vet is on antibiotics and another medicine called "polyprenyl immunostimulant" I heard it has helped and treated some cats with dry fip

She's been like this for about 10 days now and since she went to the vet and been on antibiotics (she's been on polyprenyl immunostimulant since 1pm yesterday) and the antibiotics since the 4th of April
Now lucky is showing some improvements I will list them in a screenshot
Does this mean she's getting better and fighting fip? Since there's more good than bad or could she just have something else she's an adult cat her age is unknown but she is a older kitty I took her in as a stray back in 2008 and been in perfect health until over a week ago but she seems to be getting better has anyone had experience similar or exactly the same? I'm hoping she's possibly recovering in my opinion. Also pm me with your experiences thanks so much for any help! [emoji]128049[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji]️

Last edited by a moderator:

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
What blood work was run? Can you post a picture of the results?

While there is no divinities test for FIP, there are certain things to look for that often point to FIP.

Also, was Lucky an adult when she came to you? Is she indoor/outdoor, indoor only?

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I have personally used PI for a known case of FIP. I've read the literature/study done by the vet who created this. I am currently of the opinion that is possibly extends life, but I am not sold on the opinion that is cures FIP.

What dosing and dosing schedule are you using for Lucky? There are two different ones, one for FIP another for Feline Herpes. (I have used this in 2 cases of FHV with much success.)

The cat we used PI on for FIP lived for 14 weeks from the time of diagnosis.

I personally have not heard of using Interferon to treat FIP.