Can My Cat Be Saved (video)?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pemba

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For constipation you can try miralax. 1/4th tsp mixed with water ontop of her food. It sounds like she could have megacolon. She could also have trouble with the nerves in the digestive tract, leading to difficult bowel movements. Either way, if this is constipation, miralax can help. You may need to start with a low dose and increase it over time.

i believe their is a felineconstipation.org site that may be helpful.
she already has a laxative medicine but im not sure its helping all the time and besides when she gets that medicine she sometimes poop through the whole house.

thx ill check it out!

Pemba

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are you sure she's constipated, or just not pooping from being cleaned out and probably not eating a whole lot yet?

nah my mother said she ate a lot but didnt manage to get anything out when she tried.

Pemba

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
oh, goodness, poor baby!
yes its a complete mystery. Im not sure the results are going to tell us anything to be honest. It cant be the nerves really because she still knows that she needs to take a shit but she cant. Might be the muscles or something is my guess. She is two years but still very small.

She still has a very high appetite and plays a lot.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, say, have you had a chance to show these videos to the vet including this latest one, just in case they're able to see something in the way her body/tail is moving that the rest of us wouldn't know to look for?

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For constipation you can try miralax. 1/4th tsp mixed with water ontop of her food. It sounds like she could have megacolon. She could also have trouble with the nerves in the digestive tract, leading to difficult bowel movements. Either way, if this is constipation, miralax can help. You may need to start with a low dose and increase it over time.

i believe their is a felineconstipation.org site that may be helpful.
Miralax has been a life saver for our cat that seems to get backed up anytime you sneeze or look at him wrong.
I do like this because it's not a harsh laxative, and (unless given quadruple doses many times a day!) shouldn't create a screaming case of diarrhea (which leads to more problems.)
Our cat has had "clean outs" at the vets and it wasn't unusual for him not to "go" for another 2 days, or even 3 if his appetite was poor.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
nah my mother said she ate a lot but didnt manage to get anything out when she tried.
Do you remember when she had the laxative?
Most times they take a few days to work, because they don't want to create cramps/pain and turn the tables on you and the cat and give them diarrhea that's difficult to clear up. Fast acting laxatives (for cats, if such a thing even exists) might get results within the day but might swing the problem the opposite way, something you probably don't want!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes its a complete mystery. Im not sure the results are going to tell us anything to be honest. It cant be the nerves really because she still knows that she needs to take a shit but she cant. Might be the muscles or something is my guess. She is two years but still very small.

She still has a very high appetite and plays a lot.
Does she eat larger meals (1-2 a day) or smaller meals (3,4,5, even 6) a day? Is she free fed? Does she like wet/canned/tinned/human food like chicken, etc.?
Has she done this routine constipation thing her whole life, or just recently? Did the vet mention something called mega-colon?
Sorry for the interrogation, I'm not grilling you but this just has so many similarities to our guy who has done this in the past!

Pemba

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you remember when she had the laxative?
Most times they take a few days to work, because they don't want to create cramps/pain and turn the tables on you and the cat and give them diarrhea that's difficult to clear up. Fast acting laxatives (for cats, if such a thing even exists) might get results within the day but might swing the problem the opposite way, something you probably don't want!
she got it tonight.

Pemba

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does she eat larger meals (1-2 a day) or smaller meals (3,4,5, even 6) a day? Is she free fed? Does she like wet/canned/tinned/human food like chicken, etc.?
Has she done this routine constipation thing her whole life, or just recently? Did the vet mention something called mega-colon?
Sorry for the interrogation, I'm not grilling you but this just has so many similarities to our guy who has done this in the past!
she is eating smaller meals 4-6/day. Would probably eat even more now when we removed he kibble. She always comes and "begs" for more food.

Free fed? Not sure what that means.

She likes all kind of food tbh, everything from hard kibbles to canned food and human food.

No she has done it once before, if you mean the procedur where they go in with water and clean her inside. Im not sure about the mega-colon thing, it was my mother and sister that went with her.

nah its ok, i want Pemba to get well so any tips are appreciated!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
she is eating smaller meals 4-6/day. Would probably eat even more now when we removed he kibble. She always comes and "begs" for more food.

Free fed? Not sure what that means.

She likes all kind of food tbh, everything from hard kibbles to canned food and human food.

No she has done it once before, if you mean the procedur where they go in with water and clean her inside. Im not sure about the mega-colon thing, it was my mother and sister that went with her.

nah its ok, i want Pemba to get well so any tips are appreciated!
Good on eating 4-6 meals a day! This is good for her I think.
Free fed = food is available at all times, but if she self regulates and doesn't over eat, this is OK too.
If she likes canned food, that's usually a better option for constipation problems because it hydrates them, and the hydration can help "move" things along.
Can you find out when she had a laxative given? I'm very curious because if it was given a few days ago, it should be working by now.

Pemba

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good on eating 4-6 meals a day! This is good for her I think.
Free fed = food is available at all times, but if she self regulates and doesn't over eat, this is OK too.
If she likes canned food, that's usually a better option for constipation problems because it hydrates them, and the hydration can help "move" things along.
Can you find out when she had a laxative given? I'm very curious because if it was given a few days ago, it should be working by now.
no it was given tonight so it might start working in a couple of days i guess, but do we continue to give it to hear each day until it works?.
She was at the vet and got home two days ago.

Pemba

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
oh now i understood you question. She started to have trouble to poop one year ago or so, thats when we got her to the vet the first time and they gave us the laxative. It did help some but it didnt really cure her. And besides she was getting diare sometimes make a mess in the house.

This week we went to the vet and the cleaned her a second time and went in with a camera to look for tumors and couldnt find anything but they are waiting for more analyze to come next week.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
no it was given tonight so it might start working in a couple of days i guess, but do we continue to give it to hear each day until it works?.
She was at the vet and got home two days ago.
When our boy starts acting like this, we do 1/4 or 1/2 teaspoon of the miralax in food, twice daily, and it usually takes 48 hours (or closer to 72, depending on how bad things are) before he manages to produce anything.
Not all brands are the same as miralax, so if you're using something else, you might want to ask a vet or maybe another member here would have experiences that would give you some ideas!
Some cats for whatever reason do best when given this for life. We aren't to that point yet.

Pemba

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
alright guys we got a call from the vet today.

She was diagnosed with chronic gastritis. We are going to give her cortisone and hopefully it gets better.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had great luck with people Miralax too, 1/4 tsp. to 1/2 tsp. mixed in a beaten egg yolk. Call your vet and ask first, as you should with all medications, over the counter or not. Those hairball remedies you find are laxatives too. I would definitely try the pumpkin, it is a great fiber. Just make sure it is pure pumpkin and does NOT have the spices in it! Poor sweet little girl, I'll pray for healing for her!