Can Maine coons throw pointed litter?

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
cs - the gene which carries pointing - is recessive.  It requires two copies to be expressed in progeny - one from either Parent - but neither of the Parents have to be pointed.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi all!
I'm new here. This is my kitten Penny. She is 4.5 months. Her father is pure bengal. Mom was mainecoon or long haired domestic.

Maine coons arent known to be points, and thus, points are rare there.  I have never seen a cat whom has a sure near Maine Coon ancestry, and whom is a point.  Although I suppose it must happen now and then some are carriers of this recessive point gene.   And the breeders sell them born points cheaply as pet cats (or solve this in some other way).

If you arent sure if momma was a MCO or longhair domestic, the chances are heavy for a domestic...   And being a carrier of the point gene is quite common among domestics, and thus in many families there may show a pointed kitten or two in a litter of kittens whom looks more alike their parents.  But she could be a MCO where the breeder preferred to have the result not known.

Typical bengals dont carry the point gene, the breeders looks actively that is not so.  They want to have control on what they put in, to know what they get out.

But there IS a variation of bengals whom are points, they are called for snow bengals - and yes,  they are almost whitish, and they are points.  Usually the spotted tabby points, blue eyes, whitish in the body color.

With a somewhat sloppy breeding, its of course fully possible to mate a snow bengal with the standard bengal.  The papers and pedigree with still be for a purebred bengal, even if a mesalliance has already happened.   :)

So yes, the result is fully possible, if the background story is enough creditable.

Yours little beauty has today the looks of a ragdoll look alike.  Alternatively you may perhaps look into the Neva Masquerade look alike (whom are essentially pointed Sibirians).