Can Kittens Receive Fvcrp At 7 Weeks Old?

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I found this information on petmd.com but I wanted yalls opinions.

"The vaccination schedule for FVRCP can begin as early as 6 weeks of age. Kittens are vaccinated once every three to four weeks until they reach 16 weeks of age or older. However, to avoid over-vaccination, most veterinarians will recommend starting the vaccine at 8 weeks of age, followed by boosters at 12 weeks and 16 weeks old."

Snowhite525

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Usually at my work if a kitten comes in at a young enough age we will give a rcp vax at 6 weeks, another booster at 9 weeks, then at 12 weeks we give a rcp and a rabies vax that counts as a 1 year. After one year then they come back and we booster both vaccinations with 3 year vaccines.

Snowhite525

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
However honestly I work in a hospital so most people do not bring them in that early, and if they do it's because they are sick and vaccines aren't an option since their immune system is already compromised...by the time they are brought back for a check up they are already past 12 weeks of age in which case we just go ahead and give rabies and rcp (counted as 1yr vax) with no boosters prior. Or if they are past 6 weeks of age but under 12 we will give a rcp and recommend they come back in 3 weeks for their rabies and a second distemper. If you are able though, the ideal schedule would be as I mentioned above. Some clinics give yearly vaccines for life...we do not.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
However honestly I work in a hospital so most people do not bring them in that early, and if they do it's because they are sick and vaccines aren't an option since their immune system is already compromised...by the time they are brought back for a check up they are already past 12 weeks of age in which case we just go ahead and give rabies and rcp (counted as 1yr vax) with no boosters prior. Or if they are past 6 weeks of age but under 12 we will give a rcp and recommend they come back in 3 weeks for their rabies and a second distemper. If you are able though, the ideal schedule would be as I mentioned above. Some clinics give yearly vaccines for life...we do not.

So then you do recommend doing FVRCP at 6-7 weeks old?

Snowhite525

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, then 3 weeks later boost it with another, and three weeks after that your kitten will be old enough for a 1yr rabies and 1 yr fvrcp