Can i use a blender instead of a grinder?

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm aware this sounds dumb. But my grinder broke and i would have to wait until Wednesday. I wanted to do my meat prep this weekend because my room mates are on vacation.

I'm getting to grind chicken thighs with skin (no bones expect the small pieces that stay on sometimes. And chicken breast.

Should i just get a blender near by? I used to have a cheap one and it didn't work well.

Also, i don't have much money. 😔

My blender:
Weston Sound Shield Pro Series 1.6hp Blender

Last edited:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm not sure if a blender would be strong enough for this job. Could you do a small batch and cut the meat up manually with scissors or a knife? I've found using scissors to cut small bite sized pieces up goes much faster than a knife but YMMV!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I used a blender for awhile before I bought a grinder. It’s possible, but it doesn’t work all that well. The meat and skin wrap around the blades and are difficult to get out. It would help, as iPappy iPappy suggests, to cut the meat into small pieces with scissors.

I also tried my food processor. It worked better but was still not as good as a grinder. Again, I cut the meat in small pieces first. I had three cats at the time so I just couldn’t manage the volume I needed.