Can I train kitten to enjoy being in carrier?

the catsage

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok so he is 3 months old, when the carrier is open he has no problem to go inside and play and treat it like another toy. But when I close it, he will meow, scream and try to get out. So I was wondering if I can train him to stay there and actually enjoy it. Putting his favorite toy inside doesn't work, he doesn't even watch it. Maybe if I put some bedding etc? Just something to make it interesting.

The reason why I want to do this is to teach him not to associate the carrier with vets only and to also be able to restrict him from doing things for short periods of time, for example I want to clean and I don't want him on my way, or I want to open the windows and don't want to worry about him jumping out etc. Keeping him in the carrier would be perfect for those events. He is an indoor pet.

Does anyone have similar experience or knowledge on how to teach him to enjoy being in the carrier?

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not know about isolating him in the carrier while you are home. I am not sure that will work. I would think you would need a crate for that. 

I keep the carrier out constantly, in order to get Artie used to it. He does us it as a hiding/sleeping spot, sometimes. I keep a folded up towel in there for comfort. 

As far as closing the door, and isolating him; well, that does not work. As soon as the door is closed, Artie panics.. he will start yowling. It is the closed door which does it. That is associated with going to the Vet. 

Also, you do not want to isolate him, in the house, because he may need to use the litter box.. that is not a good thing to do..or he may be hungry.. so I could not go there. There does not seem to be enough area in there for a full grown cat. 

Can you just place him in a bedroom or bathroom and close the door? Make sure his food and litter box is in there with him..

Good Luck

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

the catsage

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Umm at the moment I close him in another room but then if I have to go to that room to take something I have to close the windows first and potentially chase him around and send him back to the closed room lol. I thought the carrier was good to let him stay there for a few mins a day, maybe max 20 mins. Not any longer than that and not every day so litterbox, food etc would not be a problem. But it's true he freaks out soon as the door closes, was hoping there is a way around that. 

leen and alice

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
MY kitten does the same!!!!

GOSH its tiring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I lock her up in it when Im cleaning her kitten proof room ......

she always makes a MESS!!!!

she pooped outside the litterbox

shes meowing RIGHT NOOWWW!!!!

Im so tired of her behavior !!!

she wont let us sleeeep and start running wanting to eat our feet and get into

the bedrooms

Last edited:

the catsage

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lol my daily routine is this pretty much: Wake up, clean litterbox, fill the wet food bowl, re-fill the dry food bowl, change the water on the water bowl, then go to bathroom and do my own business and then I am ready for daily activities. Whenever I come home I should be ready for a kitten to use me as a tree and what's worse they're not afraid of anything so I have to pick them up and hope my pants are alright lol. After that I have to repeat the bowl procedure, then do some more daily activities, move them away of electric cords whenever I see them chewing, repair some cords that are exposed, when evening comes I repeat the procedure of the bowls, then clean the litterbox, add some more litter, then go to sleep, then at 4 to 5AM wake up because kitty starts to purr and sing, pet the kitty, sleep again, wake up and repeat.

Oh, and I do a lot more kitty activities. These were just some of them. For example sometimes they take the poop out of the box...ugh. That's kittens for you.

leen and alice

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lol
Kittens are a handful![emoji]128049[/emoji]
But you love them anyways![emoji]128147[/emoji][emoji]128147[/emoji]

I just want her to get used to my routine so whenever she takes a nap I try to wake her up by a toy or her food ... Is this right? Or Am I doing something wrong she DOESNT sleep at bed time and meows for like HOURS! And always forget to go poop or pee so she does it out side the litter box! Help me guys she just finished her first week with us and shes very social from the first day[emoji]128515[/emoji] ... I want to ask more quesions but Im new in the cat site I dont know how to start my own thread...
Help[emoji]128517[/emoji]

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh, I fully understand the routine too!  I have my own, somewhat like yours.  I have two site-swapping males that I have had separated since February in the house.  Our days revolve around the schedule of who is out in the house, and who is in "their" room.  And I have an 18 pound fatty-foo-foo that tries to climb me because he wants to be held like a baby all the time.  Most of my pants have pulls
 but everyone at work knows I'm the crazy cat lady!

I have a cantankerous old guy that if I am trying to do anything he is all up in my business!  For example, if I am sweeping the floor, he will go sit in the dirt/dust pile, and no amount of shooing out will keep him out.  It depends on how determined his mood is. 

Since it is for only a short period of time, have you tried doing what you need to do during his normal mealtime?  If you had a larger crate, then you could put his food in there then pop him in, do whatever you need to do while he is eating, if you have a small house or apartment where you don't have a room you can just shut her up in for a few minutes. I use my bathroom to pop my old grump into if I need him out of the way for a few minutes (but I have another bath in the house that can be used if needed by someone).  He has gotten used to this, and he doesn't mind (too bad), normally when I open the door he is sitting in his lumpy loaf position on my bath rug glaring at me.  But he doesn't yowl or howl.  He DOES do that in his carrier when that door shuts!  And he is one of those that will go in and out of his carrier normally, but you shut that door, and it is ON.  But I got him used to staying in the bathroom for a while by feeding him in there when I needed to put him up for a few.

I do know some people actually do crate their cats at times, but they use the BIG dog crates/kennels, not a small carrier.  If you are concerned about his safety (like when you open windows) you might check into getting one of the large dog crates.  I also saw a small camping tent being used somewhere on the internet, set up in someone's living room, as a temporary cat pen while they were having work done in their house.  It was small, like a child's, but big enough for a litterbox and food and water, with plenty of space in between.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Try to relax a bit.. She is a kitten and has only been with you for a week...In the cat universe, that is really only an hour!!!

Cats are nocturnal.. They are up at night. Do you leave toys out for her? Her best toy, and best friend is YOU!! She does love you...

I would let her cat nap.. she still needs to grow and rest. 

Can you try tiring her out with a large play session before you go to bed. I know you will be tired, but try it.. a laser is a real good lazy toy for you.. Do not get it near her face or eyes.. Cats love it!

Also, leave out some food for her to nibble on, when you go to bed. 

As far as the meows go: you have to learn to absolutely ignore her.. Do not move, do not acknowledge her, until you are ready. This is important. She is starting to develop a habit.. so do not allow her to do so. Get her used to YOUR routine...

Waking her up when she is napping may create a grumpy cat.. let her sleep..

As far as litter box, I am not sure, but if you keep putting her in the box, several times a day, especially after waking up and after eating; it may help her get used to it..

Praise her when she does use it..

anyone else have any ideas?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lol
Kittens are a handful![emoji]128049[/emoji]
But you love them anyways![emoji]128147[/emoji][emoji]128147[/emoji]

I just want her to get used to my routine so whenever she takes a nap I try to wake her up by a toy or her food ... Is this right? Or Am I doing something wrong she DOESNT sleep at bed time and meows for like HOURS! And always forget to go poop or pee so she does it out side the litter box! Help me guys she just finished her first week with us and shes very social from the first day[emoji]128515[/emoji] ... I want to ask more quesions but Im new in the cat site I dont know how to start my own thread...
Help[emoji]128517[/emoji]
This is what kittens are like! She needs a lot of play and a lot of food. How much and how often are you feeding her? How many litter boxes do you have?

Do you think she might be happier in another home? I'm sure you could do very well together, but you are not going to be able to train her out of this behavior, so is this ok with you?

Last edited:

leen and alice

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@talkingpeanut
I guess you've assumed I not capable of owning a kitten..... I (and all my family members)are trying our very best to raise her thats why I signed up for this website I love my kitten and Im asking normal first time pet owner quesions
(Cute nickname BTW[emoji]128514[/emoji])

leen and alice

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@Artiemom
Thanx a lot for your helpful reply!![emoji]128147[/emoji] shes so sociable and playfull that I forgat that Iv got her only a week ago!!

Haha!!

leen and alice

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@hbunny
looks like a tiring routine!!
Is that your big baby (fatty fofo ...lol) in the profile pic.. ADORABLE!!![emoji]128049[/emoji][emoji]128049[/emoji][emoji]128147[/emoji]
Looks so cute I want to hug him!!![emoji]128156[/emoji][emoji]128156[/emoji][emoji]128156[/emoji]

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@talkingpeanut
I guess you've assumed I not capable of owning a kitten..... I (and all my family members)are trying our very best to raise her thats why I signed up for this website I love my kitten and Im asking normal first time pet owner quesions
(Cute nickname BTW[emoji]128514[/emoji])
Not saying you're a bad owner at all! Just wanted to point out that this is what you get with kittens. They ate high energy and a lot of work! If you don't feel cut out of that, it's ok.

hbunny

Super Cat
Purraise
Haha! No, that's my old guy Wurp (aka Angry Cat). Shortstack is my little fatty foo foo (little bunny foo foo modified!). Thanks, Wurp is my baby. Stack is my sweetheart.

Last edited:

grrr cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

The reason why I want to do this is to teach him not to associate the carrier with vets only and to also be able to restrict him from doing things for short periods of time, for example I want to clean and I don't want him on my way, or I want to open the windows and don't want to worry about him jumping out etc. Keeping him in the carrier would be perfect for those events. He is an indoor pet.

Does anyone have similar experience or knowledge on how to teach him to enjoy being in the carrier?
 Mine use to think her carrier was a safe spot and slept in it most nights - blanket, feliway inside etc. This stopped after a couple of visits to the vet and that ended.

When mine was a kitten, if she was noise at bed time she went to the bath room with toys and fun stuff , if she was quiet she stayed out. Same in the morning.

Last edited:

the catsage

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

@The Catsage I wonder whether spraying some Feliway or catnip spray in the carrier may help?
Probably. I am going to get some catnip spray next time I visit the pet shop, my mum thinks I am going to turn the kitten to a gangster with all the weed and stuff lol. But as long as it works why not

hbunny

Super Cat
Purraise
Hahahahaha! My cat must be the godfather then, he loves his catnip! The spray stuff is wonderful too. No mess!