Can I Spray Ringworm Treatment On Cat Furniture?

barb1984

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello hello. This is a strange question, but maybe worth asking here since someone may have tried it. To begin with, I used the Epic Ringworm Thread for general reference and it was so helpful! This question might need outsourcing though.

I've just started treating my 8.5 month old cat for ringworm (it's mild--I don't think they finished treatment at the shelter when I got her four months ago) and the vet gave me a shampoo for twice-a-week baths and Miconosol spray for daily application. If the Miconosol is effective in treating fungus on the cat's skin and fur, would it work if I sprayed it on her cat tree? It's a really cute wicker & sisal perch + scratcher + cave that I got her for Christmas (sale price !) and I can't bear parting with it so soon. Not to mention I'm on a serious budget (she goes to the vet every month for something) & this was a splurge. She loves it and it's perfect for my small space. Rather than getting another one, wouldn't it make sense to spray miconosol on it to clean? Or am I being silly?

Bottom line, I don't want my cat to get infected again bc I didn't throw out her spore-infested tree BUT I don't want her to be tree-less. :dunno:

Here's a picture of her post-bath & blow dryer session (i'm in the middle of cleaning, hence the sheets) & in the background is the sad cat tree, in exile. Photo on 1-27-18 at 2.08 PM #2.jpg

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Your best bet would be to ask your vet's office and/or shelter to recommend a fungicide (like Accel) to disinfect the cat tree, because you're going to need a lot of it, especially if you're dealing with wicker.

Our shelter disposes of anything porous that's been in contact with ringworm spores, but we made an exception for a wicker bed that an elderly cat was particularly attached to. On the vet's advice, we thoroughly vacuumed every crevice, saturated the bed inside and out with enilconazole (Imaverol, which may not be available in your location), allowed it to dry, then steamcleaned every nook and cranny.

Lovemymees

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You're welcome! I hope so too! :) Question! Did you have any cat furniture or anything that you had to throw out because of ringworm? We have a cat tree and some other cat furniture with carpeting that we washed with carpet cleaner mixed with borax. I read that sunlight kills ringworm too - so we set them outside for an afternoon. Do you know of anything else we could do?

Thank you!

Lovemymees

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You're welcome! I hope so too! :) Question! Did you have any cat furniture or anything that you had to throw out because of ringworm? We have a cat tree and some other cat furniture with carpeting that we washed with carpet cleaner mixed with borax. I read that sunlight kills ringworm too - so we set them outside for an afternoon. Do you know of anything else we could do?

Thank you!

Attachments