Can I/Should I let my kitten live with my adult cat?

Cricketsmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cricket is my adult cat, previously feral but now tamed and desexed. Our feral kitten, Pinto, has come really far really fast and I would consider him tame, loves to be stroked, approaches me, gets excited for food when he sees me preparing it, and can even be picked up which Cricket is still working on. I think the kitten is a male too.
I want to let the kitten out, out of his cage and into our house, but Cricket is there too. I'm not sure if it is safe for them to be out together or not? They can see each other through the cage, the adult shows no aggression and they meow to each other throughout the day. But if Cricket comes right up to the cage bars Pinto does hiss.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cricketsmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I forgot to add, they have been out together unintentionally (kitten escaped his cage), and there wasn't any injuries as a result.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is VERY rare for an adult cat to injure a young kitten, however, there are ways to introduce them to make it even safer.

Now, your older cat may do a bit of hissing, even some light cuffing/swatting, but that just means he is teaching this little guy his manners! It is not cause for concern unless he goes into full stalk mode, body low, ears back, eyes dilated and fixed on the kitten.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cricketsmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is VERY rare for an adult cat to injure a young kitten, however, there are ways to introduce them to make it even safer.

[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]

Now, your older cat may do a bit of hissing, even some light cuffing/swatting, but that just means he is teaching this little guy his manners! It is not cause for concern unless he goes into full stalk mode, body low, ears back, eyes dilated and fixed on the kitten.
That's really helpful, thankyou!