Can I Give Ensure To My Cat?

nati85

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's hungry but unable to eat solids.

I've already seen 2 vets and I posted here about it. I just need to know if this is right. And flavor to use.

Thanks in advance.

(By the way. Im from Argentina)

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I’d say not to give him ensure. Looking at the ingredients list, there are a lot of things in there that I have no clue what they are (chocolate, by the way, is poisonous to cats). What you can give him is KMR, or an equivalent product. This is kitten milk replacement formula, but it can be given to adult cats as well.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Try a human meat baby food (no onion, no garlic) or blend some boiled chicken with water to make a home made version. That is generally well received by cats and will provide some nutrition.

Ensure has a little too much sugar and isn't nutritionally balanced for cats.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The "Ensure" you read about online is most likely what many call "kitty Ensure". The product is called Clinicare RF. Your vet may have it or you can buy it online. However I'm not sure if this product is sold in Argentina.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
KMR or goats milk would be great liquid foods. These are often used by people who rescue and bottle feed very young kittens that are not capable of eating solid food yet. Try calling pet stores or grocery stores in your area to find the products. Stay away from Hartz products. Also Whiska's kitten milk is another one I would not use. KMR and goats milk can be given to adults. I have used these products for adult senior cats when they decided to get sick of their wet cat food.

Human Ensure is not a safe diet for cats. It has too much sugar and the added flavors can actually cause harm to your cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nati85

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The "Ensure" you read about online is most likely what many call "kitty Ensure". The product is called Clinicare RF. Your vet may have it or you can buy it online. However I'm not sure if this product is sold in Argentina.
Thank you for noticing the Argentina part :)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Vanilla Ensure won't hurt the cat. But if you can't get Catsure (yes, it's a thing!) or kitten formula, I think human baby formula would be better than Ensure. Mix it double strength for cats.

maincoonmama

Geriatric/S.N Rescuer
Kitten
Purraise
try catsure. it is ensure for cats.
when you were at the vet did you get your cat checked for blockages and have their teeth looked at? those are the two main culprits for cats not wanting to eat. it is important to get your cat to eat. they can start to suffer from hepatic lipidosis, especially if they are really young or old. try human baby food or strong smelly foods like sardines or mackerel. cat teeth need to be cleaned and examined, once a year at least, just like a human. tooth pain is apparent with broken teeth, red gums and drooling. a stomach or bowel blockage will make a abstain from eating. and once they do, they will vomit it back up.