Can I get some parakeets?

BlueRaccoon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! We had a death in the family, and their pet birds need a home. I have considered taking these parakeets in. I have experience with birds, but not with cats and birds. I have two cats. They are 7 and 8 years old. Would I be able to have parakeets with these cats? I obviously wouldn't let the birds out while the cats are in the room, but I'm curious if this is even possible.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course it's possible. But, you will have to bear in mind that the birds will be under stress with 2 cats roaming about! Parakeets will enjoy the same conditions as the cats - pleasant sunny, airy room with plenty of company. But, so long as the cats can't jump onto the cage and you are aware of signs of stress in the birds - such as pulling out their own feathers - it is definitely worth a try. You can always rehome the birds later if things don't work out.
Parakeets can be very noisy which is the reason why I was quite relieved when my daughter moved out taking her pair of lovebirds with her. My 3 cats were not the problem! Today I wouldn't want the extra mess of feathers and bird seed - but you are the judge and know what you are letting yourself in for! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BlueRaccoon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Of course it's possible. But, you will have to bear in mind that the birds will be under stress with 2 cats roaming about! Parakeets will enjoy the same conditions as the cats - pleasant sunny, airy room with plenty of company. But, so long as the cats can't jump onto the cage and you are aware of signs of stress in the birds - such as pulling out their own feathers - it is definitely worth a try. You can always rehome the birds later if things don't work out.
Parakeets can be very noisy which is the reason why I was quite relieved when my daughter moved out taking her pair of lovebirds with her. My 3 cats were not the problem! Today I wouldn't want the extra mess of feathers and bird seed - but you are the judge and know what you are letting yourself in for! :)
Thank you! Those are all great things to consider. Oh, yes.....I have already thought about the seeds and feathers everywhere. However, my part time job is vacuuming with all the pets we already have.....lol.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Here's a very short TCS article on the topic.
Raising Cats & Birds In The Same House – TheCatSite Articles

years ago we had a budgie and cat at the same time. The cat was curious and would look in the cage (under supervision) but never seemed predatory.

The main thing we found about having a budgie, is that they need to stay warm.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My aunt had a bird and two cats growing up. Simon was a lovely and happy bird. Her cage was up high.

I could never consider it with our two cats. They have high prey drive. Calcifer busted through our screen as a kitten to pounce a bird. (Terrifying experience, we didn't know he was that strong to do that)

Personality is part of it certainly.

CaseysMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would be very careful.

When I was in my 20's, I worked at a pet store, and I had one or two of everything in a one bedroom apartment. LOL. I had two parakeets and a dog and a cat. They couldn't get to the cage, but the problem was that parakeets, and other birds, like to be let out of their cages occasionally. That's how they bond with you and get some exercise. Plus, you have to let them out when you clean the cage. I didn't have much room, so I would try letting the birds out in my bedroom and keeping the dog and cat locked out. It only took a second, and they dashed in when I had to open the door. (I should have put the birds back in the cage before opening the door, but I was young and stupid and overwhelmed with too many pets). THANKFULLY, the birds were not killed, but the cat pulled one bird's tail feathers out (very traumatic for a bird) before I could even blink. I promptly found the poor birds a new home.

So, this is just my cautionary tale, but if you have more room, more time, and more sense than I did, you could make it work.