Can I Combine A Teeth Cleaning And Dental Exam Together?

myfamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a stray cat who looks like he is in pain when he eats. There is a veterinarian who offers a $300 plan. The plan includes a teeth cleaning once a year, plus various discounts on other services. It's a really good deal. I signed my own cat up for the plan, and they cleaned his teeth and extracted a bad tooth for only $20 extra. So I figured this would be a good way for them to inspect the stray cat's teeth. (he is tame, but stray). My problem arose when I got a new receptionist. She couldn't answer any of my questions. I mainly was trying to ask her if I can combine the dental exam with the teeth cleaning since it seems it would be much easier to examine his teeth while under anesthesia. I did not get an answer from her. She said she is new and didn't really know UGH! So I made the appointment regardless for two weeks from now. I want to bring in the stray cat for a teeth cleaning. I honestly don't care much about the teeth cleaning, I just want him to have his teeth examined and have any bad teeth pulled. Since the receptionist couldn't answer my question, I will ask this community. Does this sound like a good way to approach a dental examination and subsequent dental care? How can a veterinarian do a dental exam with the cat sitting on the examination counter fully awake? This seems to be the norm for dental examinations: bring the cat in for a dental consultation first, and then proceed from there. I just don't see how this is a good method for examining teeth since cats are not going to let you just look into their mouths.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Normally the vet will look at the teeth best they can during a routine exam. They are looking for tarter buildup and any obvious issues. When they do a dental it includes a thorough exam, usually with xrays and the cleaning. My vet usually can manage a good look during the wellness visit and will tell me if a dental is needed. If the cat is displaying obvious mouth issues then a dental would also be scheduled.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You might consider calling the office and asking that the vet call you back. Tell him/her the situation, that the receptionist was unable to answer the question, and could it be done. That way, you know. If s/he says yes, ask what you should tell the receptionist to put down for the reason for the visit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

myfamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just my luck, I got a new receptionist who didn't know anything. This vet clinic has a plan where for $300 they will do one teeth cleaning per year. I signed my cat up for the plan, and they found a bad tooth and pulled it for only $20 extra. Not sure why they couldn't do an oral exam while cleaning teeth. That's what I asked her, and she couldn't answer the question. Incompetence is no fun. My regular vet's procedure is to bring the cat him for a consultation yada yada. The whole process of consultation followed by exam, followed by dental work would probably far exceed the aforementioned $300 plan at this other vet, and since the cat is already under for the teeth cleaning a good oral exam could take place.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, you should absolutely combine a dental exam with mouth x-rays with a teeth cleaning if the cat will already be sedated for the cleaning. Any vet who doesn't is doing you and your cat a disservice and possibly wasting your money. There are problems that occur below the gum line that cannot be seen in a sedation-free visual exam. It will likely exceed the $300 figure but if he has some bad teeth, that's more important than getting a cleaning. Cats can and will often eat with mouth pain for a very long time until their pain exceeds their hunger. When this happens, things can really get expensive. Even if you lose the $300 deal, it's more important to do exams with X-rays and any necessary extractions at least once a year than it is to do a cleaning.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most vets will do a consult first to determine the extent of the dental issues. Usually a vet tech helps to hold the cat while the vet takes a look into the mouth. Many dental vets have consult only days and dental surgery only days so it's not possible to schedule both a consult and a dental surgery for the same day.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might consider calling the office and asking that the vet call you back. Tell him/her the situation, that the receptionist was unable to answer the question, and could it be done. That way, you know. If s/he says yes, ask what you should tell the receptionist to put down for the reason for the visit.
Yep, that's what I'd do too. If the receptionist is new (started in the past week or two), she might be unsure and unwilling to give a definite answer because this may not be something she's come across before, so just leaving a message for your vet to call you is probably your best bet.

bear

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It may require a visit first to determine if the cat is healthy enough to be put under anesthesia. The Vet will listen to the cat's heart for conditions like murmurs or other indications of heart issues. They will likely want to see the cat to evaluate general health.