Can I Clean My Cats Wound With Hydrogen Peroxide?

Ziggysan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What about triple antibiotic ointment after cleaning it?

Thanks!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Peroxide is irritating and can impede healing. Saline solution is better (google for the amount of salt to add). You can use antibiotic cream if it's somewhere the cat can't lick.

Susana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I asked the same question myself to a friend of mine who fosters cats and has had to clean and wrap many wounds, abscessed tumors, etc. Her opinion was "Absolutely not." Her thought is that the bubbles ng sensation does not feel good but rather it makes them and ant to itch. CNN has a pistol on their site about this specific question. As far as the ointment goes, I don't think there's a problem with that. I told the vet I was using it and h didn't object. The thing that the thing that surprised me is it a niche Lee thought it was best to not keep the wound bandaged up so it could air out but actually the opposite is better. The one should be covered and wrapped to prevent infection but changed at least two or three times a day. I am just repeating what my vet said. I am not a veterinarian and can't really give advice on this so I'm passing along advice that was given to me. Everything I've read on the web (some of it on PetMD) seems to support that. Anyway, I hope this helps.
Medical myths don't die easily

Susana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My friend uses something called Vetericyn Plus Hydro Gel. On the bottle it says "Non-irritating and non-sensitizing; Safe if licked or ingested; Works on all animal skin types." I believe you can get this at Petsmart. It's a little pricey, though. I also dab a little iodine on the wound before putting on a bandage (lightly, not tightly)

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also dab a little iodine on the wound before putting on a bandage
Hi Susana.

Iodine should NEVER be used iodine on any open/broken skin - it will do damage to the skin cells, retarding healing and causing further damage (in humans and animals) - you'll easily find this with Google.

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If I need to clean wounds I just use plain soap and water. And only once just to irrigate and remove debris, saline works too.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Instead of peroxide, use a chlorhexidine solution such as this C.E.T. 12% Chlorhexidine Rinse for Dogs & Cats - 1800PetMeds

You can also use betadine. Betadine for Humans might be too strong to use on pets so use a pet safe betadine like this Dog First Aid: Skin Cleansers: Betadine Surgical Scrub | DrsFosterSmith.com Betadine does stain.

Triple antibiotic ointment is fine as long as it does not contain pain medicine. Neosporin Original is one you can use. I use a store generic brand. Use a tiny amount on the wound. If possible, cover the wound loosely with a gauze bandage to keep your cat from bothering the wound.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ziggysan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks all!