Can Hyperesthesia Syndrome Develop In An Older Cat?

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
I noticed Midway attacking his flank but by the time I got my phone the worst was over. Still I do have video of his back rippling. This has been going on a couple of months, and it clearly bothers him, when an episode starts he will jerk his body around rather than moving gracefully, frantically lick his hip a few licks before jerking his head and then frantic licking again, and sometimes swat his tail or hip/leg.

What's weird though is that it started a couple of months ago and Midway is 15. The back movements are like what Shadow had, and she definitely had hyperesthesia syndrome, though her reaction was more muted. However Shadow got better as she aged, and by the end of her life she'd just jerk her head a little and snarl meow at you if you scratched the base of her tail. So is there a possibility Midway has developed hyperesthesia syndrome? Or does his age mean it can't be that because it does get better as a cat gets older?

The video is too big for the site, so here is a link.
20180729_203310.mp4

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It would not be the norm for FHS, but not impossible. Poor baby, I know how scary FHS can be for both pets and pet parents. But there are meds that can help, even at 15.

Like Shadow, my girl has also got a bit better with age. But I do think it is something that never completely goes away. Fortunately, it is not life-threatening. But I know it is very scary. :greenpaw:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a cat who responds to Revolution in this manner. She also gets the dilated pupils, runs around in crazy patterns, and is nervous. I no longer give her Revolution or any other kind of flea meds.