Can Guests At My House Take Home Virus?

FirstRescue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have two rescue kittens with feline herpes or calicivirus (the vet's informal diagnosis). They're both symptomatic, and I've been using supplements and trying to keep them stress-free.

Anyway, I'm having some friends over to my house soon. They just adopted a rescue cat. Even though many/most rescues already have viral infections, I know they'll be concerned about potentially taking home my kitties' virus to their kitty.

Does anyone know about indirect transmission? Like if my guests pet my kittens. Even without direct contact with my cats, the virus will almost certainly get on their hands or clothing or shoes because...well, kittens get around. I can't disinfect the carpet and every surface the guests might touch.

Likewise, I don't want my friends to stop inviting me to their house for fear I'm bringing plague with me on my clothing.

I know the virus is extremely contagious, but I believe it's also pretty fragile. I think my guests would be fine if they washed their hands when they got home, but I'd like your opinions.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
From what this article says, it is possible, but (for the reasons you say) not overly likely:

Ringworm In Cats: How To Win The Fight

Since it takes some time for the virus to die, I would at least think about confining the kittens so that they don't sneeze on your guests' clothing, etc, and have your guests wash their hands or use a good sanitizer when leaving. If I am reading this article correctly, that should cut way, way down on the risks.