Can gabapentin be mixed with food?

Kennethkeen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat recently got spayed Friday and she's fighting with me on the syringe my vets currently closed on Friday I'm wondering if anyone can suggest to mix it with wet food.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, it can be mixed with food. But, better make it a really good food, as I have found the med to have a fairly nasty taste. Also, to ensure she gets the full dose, you might try starting with a bite or two of food before giving her a full meal. If she will take pills with something like pill pockets or pill masker, you might try doing that and then giving her food right afterward.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kennethkeen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, it can be mixed with food. But, better make it a really good food, as I have found the med to have a fairly nasty taste. Also, to ensure she gets the full dose, you might try starting with a bite or two of food before giving her a full meal. If she will take pills with something like pill pockets or pill masker, you might try doing that and then giving her food right afterward.
It's in liquid form this one just hates anything in syringe form.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The liquid can be added to wet food too. If your 'brave' you might just take a little taste so you know what you are dealing with. If the food doesn't work, you could mix with some 'juice' from canned tuna in water, and then let her have a bite of the tuna as a treat.

Kennethkeen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The liquid can be added to wet food too. If your 'brave' you might just take a little taste so you know what you are dealing with. If the food doesn't work, you could mix with some 'juice' from canned tuna in water, and then let her have a bite of the tuna as a treat.
I take gabapentin myself but a 300mg tablet would probably send her back to the vet 🤣

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
;) In all sincerity, I hope she isn't getting any more than 50 mg per dose - certainly no more than 100 mg. For some cats, the latter can make them groggy, if not totally out of it!!!!

Kennethkeen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
;) In all sincerity, I hope she isn't getting any more than 50 mg per dose - certainly no more than 100 mg. For some cats, the latter can make them groggy, if not totally out of it!!!!
The dose says 50mg per bottle mixing with wet food seems to help. This cats been a glorified druggie this entire month from being on amoxicillin from an anal glands infection to being spayed the following couple weeks.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Our cat usually gets liquid meds but he recently had to take Gabapentin and just as FeebysOwner FeebysOwner said it better be good food because the taste is nasty. When I gave our guy the liquid form he started drooling something terrible. I have since switched to a pill and put it in the back of his throat then used a syringe with water to wash it down. It worked! Fortunately he doesn't take it on a regular basis so we both get a reprieve. 😉

mxphs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat was prescribed this and has now stopped eating his wet food because i was sneaking it in. I've started a thread about it here: My cat knows i sneak his medication into his wet food and now isn't eating it

If you're brave enough, go for the pill down the throat maneuver because if they start to detect the gaba in the wet food, they may reject it completely and you'll have to build their trust with eating it again. Some cats are cool enough with just taking it in their food but i have a real scaredy/smarty cat on my hands. My cat has lost faith in wet food now and im going to have to do the dreaded pill down throat with pill popper routine :drool::drool::drool::drool: