Can Friskies pate canned food cause crystals ?

bishoy.isaac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My male cat had urinary issues since he was 1 years old, cause he was the first cat I've ever had and I used to feed him Mera dry cat food only which caused him blockage at some point and the vet told me to immediately change to RC Urinary SO
I used to feed him Friskies Pate canned food alongside the RC dry food. I've heard so many different opinions when it came to Friskies wet food, his vet told me it's not a problem feeding him that brand, he even has it as a treat for the pets that comes to his clinic, and some vets told me that it's the worst wet food to give a cat with urinary and crystals problems
Can anyone plz give me some advice which is the best wet cat food brand for my cat - not the RC wet food cuz it's super expensive and I can't afford wet and dry RC. Or can anyone confirm that Friskies canned food can cause him more problems with crystals formation ?
P.S. I gave him RC Urinary SO wet pouch once and it made him vomit for some reason
Thanks in advance

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Friskies is filled with fillers and color (which can cause cancer). I never recommend that brand. Check out Koha, it has cranberries in it that can help with urinary issues. And with any cat you want to feed more wet food less dry. Dry food, even the urinary care can still cause issues for some. So feed it very sparingly. And you must feed the cat at least 3 times a day. The less meals you feed the higher the PH level can be in the bladder. :) There is Farmina for urinary care but its stupid expensive. Nutrience has urinary care as well as blue buffallo, you can try those wet foods to.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I can't tell you specifically about Friskies, but there are plenty of threads here about people asking if they can feed something other than the prescription urinary foods. Here's just one: Urinary SO food

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bishoy.isaac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Friskies is filled with fillers and color (which can cause cancer). I never recommend that brand. Check out Koha, it has cranberries in it that can help with urinary issues. And with any cat you want to feed more wet food less dry. Dry food, even the urinary care can still cause issues for some. So feed it very sparingly. And you must feed the cat at least 3 times a day. The less meals you feed the higher the PH level can be in the bladder. :) There is Farmina for urinary care but its stupid expensive. Nutrience has urinary care as well as blue buffallo, you can try those wet foods to.
Thanks for the reply
Unfortunately I live in Egypt and most of these brands are not available here, we only have Friskies, Leonardo, RC of course, some brand called Procat, and many unknown brands but Friskies is the most famous one :(
And I don't wanna feed him only dry food and idk what to feed him since he doesn't eat homemade food except that he sometimes like to eat raw minced meat

bishoy.isaac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh and there is also fancy feast if that is a better choice maybe ?!

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fancy feast pate would be the better choice over friskies. Just make sure no fish flavors :)

bishoy.isaac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is he neutered? How much water does he drink - do you think enough?
Yeah he is neutered, and he drinks 120 to 150 ml per day which is not bad cuz he pees 2-3 times a day

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah he is neutered, and he drinks 120 to 150 ml per day which is not bad cuz he pees 2-3 times a day
If he also eats some wet food, he might be getting enough water actually. There are different numbers on different sources but on average a cat needs about 30-50 ml water intake per kg in weight, depending on the weather, activity level, etc. The water they get from food is included in this and most wet foods are mostly water. I still suggest adding minimum one wet food per day, split in two different meals like half a can in the morning, half in the evening.

Urinary blockages can also be the result of stress. Like it's not uncommon for especially male cats to get blocked after changes like moving houses.

Small meals throughout the day helps to prevent the blockages. The vets where I live check Ph level of (bottled) waters and recommend avoiding tap water. Do you use tap water? Could you maybe switch to bottled water like Nestle?

Friskies wet food may not be the best wet food. But I highly doubt that was the main reason of the blockage.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are supplements out there you might want to give too, they can be found at Amazon or other internet pet sites. I get those lickable treats (mine are from Hartz) and mix supplements and meds in that, cats love them.

bishoy.isaac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If he also eats some wet food, he might be getting enough water actually. There are different numbers on different sources but on average a cat needs about 30-50 ml water intake per kg in weight, depending on the weather, activity level, etc. The water they get from food is included in this and most wet foods are mostly water. I still suggest adding minimum one wet food per day, split in two different meals like half a can in the morning, half in the evening.

Urinary blockages can also be the result of stress. Like it's not uncommon for especially male cats to get blocked after changes like moving houses.

Small meals throughout the day helps to prevent the blockages. The vets where I live check Ph level of (bottled) waters and recommend avoiding tap water. Do you use tap water? Could you maybe switch to bottled water like Nestle?

Friskies wet food may not be the best wet food. But I highly doubt that was the main reason of the blockage.
Yeah I only give him Nestle bottled water, though I used to give him tap water till he got blocked

bishoy.isaac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There are supplements out there you might want to give too, they can be found at Amazon or other internet pet sites. I get those lickable treats (mine are from Hartz) and mix supplements and meds in that, cats love them.
Well buddy there are no such things here in Egypt, I could barely get him the RC
Here they don't care for animals that much so the variety of products for pets is very limited
But thanks for the advice :)

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I only give him Nestle bottled water, though I used to give him tap water till he got blocked
A quick note, I use several products from this Turkish brand: http://en.biopetactive.com/

I just checked they are not in Egypt but they are in some neighboring countries to Egypt like Libya. I would check online shopping options if I were you.