Can Feliway Cause Diarrhea Or Constipation?

jamidnyc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi.

I have 2 cats - Tommy (10 year old male tabby) and Scat (17 year old female tortie).

A few weeks ago, one of the cats peed on the bed. We think it was Tommy, so we took him to the vet (there was one other accident on the carpet - and they NEVER have accidents), and all test results came back negative. The vet thought maybe he's depressed, and she suggested a pain med that also acts as an antidepressant, but that sounded a bit extreme.

We decided to get some Feliway (diffuser), so that's been in use for a couple of weeks.

One week ago, we noticed diarrhea in the litter box - pretty consistent for 2-3 days. Now it's been 2 days and NO bowel movements have happened.

I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with Feliway causing such adverse reactions.

All they eat is PetGuard Premium Feast wet food. NO DRY FOOD. And I've noticed they've been drinking more water than usual.

I live in NYC, so taking 2 cats to the vet is an expensive venture, but of course I will take them if necessary. Any thoughts are appreciated!! Thanks!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, thanks for posting! I'm not a vet, but I think it's something other than the feliway. Maybe not depressed, but have you all had some kind of big or even not so big, change? Anything from a new baby, new carpet, new furniture, visitors, a new pet in an adjoining apartment or condo. Whatever it is, is definitely progressing/worsening. Can you call your vet and describe things and see what she says? What caused her to initially think he was depressed? ...well, anyway, we're sending lots of very good thoughts your way!! Hang in there!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
It think it shouldn’t unless he, like ate the Feliway. Can you get him to the vet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jamidnyc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nothing has changed in their environment except the addition of the Feliway to possibly help with the 2 random urine incidents.

Tommy (10 yr old Tabby) is a gigantic (15 lb) love cat. Total cuddle cat that lets you do whatever you want to his belly. He's the best.

And they've both only ever eaten PetGuard Premium Feast canned food.

We are both home a lot and they are in a stress-free environment with a LOT of love.

AND they are not acting abnormal in any way.

I'm so concerned/confused.

Lalka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
what are the tests done at the vet? Even if they do eat great brand name food, he could be allergic to an ingredient. One of my cat became allergic to grains and chicken...throwing up and constipation was the first symptom. Try a different protein. Feliway is useless...get some yeoww toys instead.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

jamidnyc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The only thing that changed in the 10+ years is the addition of the Feliway Diffuser, so I'm really just curious if anyone has experienced any adverse effects.

Neither of them is having bms.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's odd that they went from diarrhea to constipation. Are they on any medication?

laura mae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I never thought the Feliway did anything except cost money.

Katiekat412

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi.

I have 2 cats - Tommy (10 year old male tabby) and Scat (17 year old female tortie).

A few weeks ago, one of the cats peed on the bed. We think it was Tommy, so we took him to the vet (there was one other accident on the carpet - and they NEVER have accidents), and all test results came back negative. The vet thought maybe he's depressed, and she suggested a pain med that also acts as an antidepressant, but that sounded a bit extreme.

We decided to get some Feliway (diffuser), so that's been in use for a couple of weeks.

One week ago, we noticed diarrhea in the litter box - pretty consistent for 2-3 days. Now it's been 2 days and NO bowel movements have happened.

I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with Feliway causing such adverse reactions.

All they eat is PetGuard Premium Feast wet food. NO DRY FOOD. And I've noticed they've been drinking more water than usual.

I live in NYC, so taking 2 cats to the vet is an expensive venture, but of course I will take them if necessary. Any thoughts are appreciated!! Thanks!
I
Hi.

Interesting....they say no side effects...and I have several other confounds like my cat has liver disease, but she hadn’t had bowel issues lately.
1. Took her to the vet and brought her home with s feliwsy treated towel. Diarrhea for three days.
2. A couple regular BMs but sprayed feliwsy at home. Diarrhea.
3. Repeat.
I’ve alsk added a drug that could be the culprit, but I find it off the loose stools happen on the day I spray feliwsy.

dkb817

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I tried the Feliway for my Ally about 3-4 years ago and within just a few hours of use, I noticed that she was way more lethargic. I removed the plug, opened the windows to air the room out and within the hour, she was back to normal; In fact, the feliway still sits unused in a drawer, even though I don't think I'd use it on any cats in the future.