Can fear/stress cause vomiting in cats?

Moonlight_wolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mia doesn’t usually throw up. But we got a new puppy and two of the times I’ve invited her downstairs she has thrown up. It’s usually when she’s close to a meal and the first time it happened I assumed it was a fluke. And the second time she didn’t actually throw up but did the whole retching thing as if she was going to throw up but then didn’t.

Can cats throw up when acutely stressed? She doesn’t throw up when she’s upstairs away from the puppy, and most of the time she doesn’t throw up when I invite her downstairs. I say invite because I give her a choice. I don’t forcefully bring her to be with the puppy. And she loves the kitchen (where he stays) so she usually chooses to come downstairs with me and into the kitchen.

I mean the last time she threw up was like a week or two ago, so it’s not like super close together. But both times were right after she spent time downstairs with me and him.

I guess I’m just always concerned that she has eaten something dangerous because she does tend to eat things off the floor. But I am pretty good at not leaving things around that I know she might eat. And every garbage can is covered upstairs so she couldn’t have rifled through those.

Yodasmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I adopted my cat Dalia, she vomited from stress for two days. The vet can give you a shot or pill to help her stomach.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Moonlight_wolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I mean it’s not nearly bad enough to do anything about. Like she threw up once a week or two ago and then almost threw up today. But thanks. It’s good to know that Mia is not the only one who has this. I think it’s a combination of having an empty stomach and being stressed at the same time.

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat used to vomit once a week or so, for a couple of months. I (wrongly) assumed that the cause was altered food or eating bugs.

When the cat started to vomit once a day, I immediately report to the vet. The cause was a gastritis, treated by one week esomeprasol and a few shoots of vitamins, liver protectors.

Lesson learnt: never assume! If in doubt, better check with the vet.