Can Essential Oils Kill My Cats?

js12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I recently came across some stuff on the internet about this. I honestly had no idea.

We use an oil diffuser at home and we also clean with trader joe's cleaner (containing essential oils) and we wash the cats dishes with trader joe's soap (containing essential oils).

The two cats are a year old and I have not noticed anything as far as a direct effect of using the oils.
But could they possibly be toxic to the cats long term health?
But then again, if we use chemical cleaners and soaps, wouldn't that be worse?

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this.

Thanks!

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
Essential oils are very dangerous to cats. Even inhaling them from a diffuser. The reason why is because a cat's liver just can't handle breaking down the stuff. Long term, yes, it could damage their organs.

As far as chemical cleaners, if they eat it, yeah it's bad. That includes cleaning their paws after walking across a freshly cleaned floor, which would also happen with your essential oil cleaners. However such cleaners are used very, very often and just living in the same house doesn't appear to have the same level of danger as the scent of essential oils in the air.

Probably the best bet is to go for the happy medium and get truly natural cleaners (not the crap that bills themselves as "natural" or "organic") that don't have essential oils. Baking soda based stuff, vinegar based stuff, things like that.

Geoffrey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Why give essential oils to cats in the first place? They are not necessary for health nor well being - and they certainly do not promote these in humans and I suspect they are of no value to cats, particularly as some are toxic to felines.

I am a human doctor, not a vet and if there is any doubt then you should ask your vet - but it is so much simpler just not to give them.

With all best wishes,
Geoffrey

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
yes some oils are toxic to a cat's liver-as mentioned above=the enzymes required to break down those particles=the cats just don't have the same enzymes like we have. I would not use oil diffusers. I remember a few are harmful for cats but I am drawing a blank at which ones. I would ask your vet if what you are using is safe. Just remember cat's lungs are delicate and they usually show the first signs of illness=asthma from perfumes etc. Since the plug in is near the floor-they would get blasted with those fumes before it would affect us. I would not use plug in thingys unless it's feliway which is for calming cats down.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Essential oils are one of those tricky things; with humans and animals. Get a good quality one and it can work wonders. Get a bad quality one and it can do nothing. When it comes to cats there are specific ones that are 100% a bad idea, some that are questionable, some that depend on quality and brand, and some that do nothing. Personally I avoid most of them. I get some doTerra Breath (a blend) for myself that I use occasionally mostly outside the house. Some lavender on laundry balls (so it is mostly heated a diffused). And a smidgen of tea tree oil that is kept far away from the cats and the area washed thoroughly after use (a great health aide for humans but absolutely deadly for cats).

When it comes to chemicals and essential oils it is very deceptive to say "they don't react" or "there are no side effects". The body is an amazing thing and sometimes little things don't cause immediate effect but over time they cause small changes that lead to big problems. OR the body hits a tolerance level and it is suddenly the absolute worst thing.

I have a lot of environmental sensitives myself. Just washing my hands with unknown soap can cause me to get blisters on my hands, using a known soap too often in a short period of time can do the same. I am not allowed to wash dishes without wearing gloves for the same reason. While one cleaning without won't kill me it can trigger problems that aren't immediately noticeable and will take a while to recover from. I have had times that something seems fine and then the 238th time I use it I have a massive reaction. I can brush up against someone in a store and have a red welt from whatever lotion or soap residue was on their skin or lean on a shelf and end up with the same from the dust or a cleaning product they used. Lots of fun over here. The point being that just because there isn't an immediate noticeable reaction doesn't mean there is no reaction and won't ever be a reaction.

All of that doesn't even touch on the whole "natural" labeling and the lack of regulation within essential oils. Which creates a whole other issue when you are trying to be mindful of what you are using.

Personally, I would avoid the "natural" products and those with essential oils whenever possible. Stick with products with limited ingredients and stick with baking soda or vinegar as a cleaning agent when possible. There are also companies like Norwex that market chemical free cleaning products.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

js12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks a lot to all of those who have replied so far. Very good information.

If there is one takeaway here, it is that I will definitely stop diffusing oils or spraying them into the air. That definitely seems like a bad idea.

But as far as cleaning products and dish soap, I don't see what choice I have. If I use a chemical cleaner around the apartment and for the dishes, then that can't be good for humans or cats. And most of the "green" or "safe" cleaners contain essential oils. I know that trader joes products contain essential oils. But, first, I doubt it is a very large amount at all. And second, if I am wiping it away, or washing it away, I don't think it should an issue.

In the meantime I will look into other cleaners without essential oils, but as I said, most of the non-chemical ones do contain some amounts of essential oils.

And yes, vinegar, baking soda, etc. are options I guess. Just not that thrilled about it.

Thanks again everyone.