Can Depo Medrol Kill My Cat?? Steroid Shot Is Ruining Her!

Status
Not open for further replies.

barnbum315

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there,
My poor girl isn't doing well. I am looking for some insight on Depo Medrol injections.

I have a 17 year old cat, Addison, who was diagnosed with chronic bronchitis about 6 weeks ago. I took her to the vet when I noticed some coughing when purring...The vet wasn't concerned at the time with the coughing but wanted her to start on hyperthyroid meds because her bloodwork showed her T4 was high average.

We took her back to the vet a month later for blood work and to check on her T4 levels.. I brought up the coughing again and another vet took a look at the x-rays and said she had bronchitis. They put her on steroid tablets. The steroids helped a bit although still having some symptoms.... wheezing, some coughing. But she was still social, eating and drinking just fine. The pills were a struggle... so the vet suggested Depo Medrol.

She was given the shot about a week ago (11/20). The next day she was reclusive but eating okay. Now she has become lethargic, she is hiding, wheezing, and not eating much at all, just a bite or two here and there. She is still drinking. I have tried feeding her treats, chicken liver, and tuna, which is her favorite treat.

On 11/23 the vet was closed so I took her to the emergency vet and they suspected it was congestive heart failure from the shot. They did bloodwork and x-rays, and did see a lot of air in her stomach and intestines from the wheezing, but no heart failure and bloodwork was normal. The ER vet said something is definitely wrong, but couldn't be sure what.... She said she should see a cardiologist and an internist to see about nasal polyps and/or cancer as her lungs look fine. She did hear a heart murmur and her heart was slightly enlarged. She didn't feel any medications were needed at this time... she also said her oxygen levels were fine considering the wheezing. She said her lungs sound good but sounds like congestion is in her head or throat. She was stable and they said she could go home.

11/23-11/24 - When we got home that night from the ER visit, she seemed to perk up. She ate and drank some, and sat upstairs with us for a while before going back into the closet downstairs. The next day she came up for her morning bite of tuna and even socialized a bit. That evening she came out for some dry cat food and sat with us for a couple hours in her favorite living room spot.... so I thought she had turned around...

11/25-11/26- Now she has made another decline, back to not eating and hiding the entire day. Her eyes are glossed over and she doesn't want to be bothered... I am worried sick. I thought the steroid shot was going to make her feel better and now it seems as though she is totally shutting down. I am calling the vet tomorrow morning to see what is going on. Can the steroid shot kill her?

Last edited:

furrypurry

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to read this. I went through something similar several years ago. My cat had a depo shot and would not interact with anybody. Just sat and stared into space when he wasn't asleep. Normally, he is very talkative and follows me around. Luckily, he did continue to eat and drink, pee and poop normally. I almost lost my mind because I thought I had lost my cat forever. But, he did eventually come around. I have never been so happy to see him sitting outside the bathroom door waiting for me to give him some attention! All I can say about the injection is NEVER AGAIN. He is not hard to pill so we will use that method from now on. The thing about injections is you can't take it back if there is a reaction. I hope you see some improvement soon.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she needs to be on steroids long-term, ask the vet about triamcinolone. My vet says that it's better tolerated than pred for long-term use, and you can have it flavored like chicken or fish at a compounding pharmacy. I have a cat who needs long-term steroids and I just mix his chicken-flavored meds with a spoonful of chicken baby food and he eats it right up, no problem. Some cats will take it plain, but the baby food is an extra incentive :).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

barnbum315

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
</QUOTE>I am so sorry to read this. I went through something similar several years ago. My cat had a depo shot and would not interact with anybody. Just sat and stared into space when he wasn't asleep. Normally, he is very talkative and follows me around. Luckily, he did continue to eat and drink, pee and poop normally. I almost lost my mind because I thought I had lost my cat forever. But, he did eventually come around. I have never been so happy to see him sitting outside the bathroom door waiting for me to give him some attention! All I can say about the injection is NEVER AGAIN. He is not hard to pill so we will use that method from now on. The thing about injections is you can't take it back if there is a reaction. I hope you see some improvement soon. <>

I am glad your baby ended up pulling through and returning to his old self. It sure is hard when they aren't themselves.... I've been a total wreck lately.

Unfortunately, I had to say goodbye to my Addy today. I took her into the vet and the vet said there were no options other than euthanizing her or letting her suffer and die slowly at home... she was having extremely labored breathing and all x-rays and blood work were normal. She had a strong heart, lungs, kidneys, liver- not bad for 17.5 years old!! She was so healthy up until the past few months. After she was put to sleep the vet scoped her and found a large mass on her larynx that was keeping it shut. He said there would of been no treatments at her age so nothing could have been done to save her even if it was found earlier.... RIP my sweet girl.

furrypurry

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, I am so sorry. I worry about my kitty, too. He has had asthma or bronchitis symptoms for most of his life. He is on a low dose of oral steroids now. It's so hard to know what to do when they are not well. Your Addy lived a long time and I'm sure it was because of your love and care. Believe me, I know how much it hurts. I wish I had some magic words to make you feel better. Hugs.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. She was very well loved for many years. I'm glad she had you to love and care for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.