Can cats who hate each other actually become friends in time? Success stories?

daryl the cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I adopted 3-yr-old male, Dodger, last October. (Long story--he showed up at my house and his previous owner didn't want him back.) My older male cat, Daryl, was not at all happy with this needy intruder. I did all of the introductory things and gated Dodger upstairs. Gradually I started letting Dodger come downstairs in the evenings when I could supervise. Still, the second I left the room, Daryl would seek him out and try to attack him. Daryl looked sulky and unhappy all the time. Dodger was so fearful that he became skittish. I hated seeing what it was doing to both of them. After 4 months of this and no progress, I was beginning to think that re-homing Dodger might be the best thing for both of them.

Then Dodger had some health issues and was recently diagnosed with diabetes. Re-homing is out of the question now. I could never do that. Oddly, from this point forward, Daryl has suddenly stopped being aggressive towards Dodger. Coincidence? Who knows! They aren't buddies by any means, but things are getting much better. They both hang out in the kitchen when I'm getting their dinner ready. They lounge in the living room on opposite furniture and there's no animosity. The staring contests and flattened ears have gone away. I never thought we'd ever get to this point.

My only concern is that Daryl looks a bit defeated, as if he's given up the fight and isn't happy about it. I'm trying to give him extra attention to assure him that he's still my big baby cat. Dodger tends to demand extra attention because of his intense and needy personality, plus the whole diabetes regimen. I feel like Daryl is still jealous and a bit depressed.

Is it possible they can actually become buddies some day? Maybe not cuddly and grooming each other, but to coexist in the same cat condo or on the same couch? I still gate Dodger upstairs when I'm at work, and I hope I can quit doing that someday. I want them to like each other, at least a little. I know it's only been 4+ months, but I need some hope that it will get better. Are there any success stories that started out similar to mine and ended well?

Kitty Memoir

Stories For You
Young Cat
Purraise
Overall there is positive progress there. How do you play with your cat? In my opinion, playtime is the best method to get the cats close to each other. As their attention are fixated on the toys, they will not even remember (even they are 'enemy') while playing. :D

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wonder if Daryl could sense Dodger's diabetes before it was being treated and that could explain why the attacks stop? Some cats can react hostilely to another cat with an illness, as they can detect it through scent. Just an observation...

I agree with the joint play sessions to see if that will help any. Maybe you might find this TCS article interesting?
Do Cats Get Jealous? (and What To Do About It When They Do) - TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daryl the cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Dodger loves to play, but Daryl isn't interested. Dodger gets a little rough with toys. He has a tunnel that he zooms in and out of like a crazy cat. It makes Daryl and my dog nervous. Daryl just watches him from the safety of the couch. I did brush both of them today on the floor. Will keep trying to find positive things they can enjoy in close proximity like snacks, etc.

Tonight Daryl was laying at my left side and Dodger was on the right. This was a big step. Then Daryl calmly extended his paw over my lap towards him and kind of flexed his toes. He usually only does that to the dog. Dodger wasn't impressed and he got up and left. LOL. I praised Daryl for being such a nice kitty.
At least I think he was being a nice kitty...? :ruminating:

Kitty Memoir

Stories For You
Young Cat
Purraise
Dodger loves to play, but Daryl isn't interested. Dodger gets a little rough with toys. He has a tunnel that he zooms in and out of like a crazy cat. It makes Daryl and my dog nervous. Daryl just watches him from the safety of the couch. I did brush both of them today on the floor. Will keep trying to find positive things they can enjoy in close proximity like snacks, etc.

Tonight Daryl was laying at my left side and Dodger was on the right. This was a big step. Then Daryl calmly extended his paw over my lap towards him and kind of flexed his toes. He usually only does that to the dog. Dodger wasn't impressed and he got up and left. LOL. I praised Daryl for being such a nice kitty.
Thats a good progress, keep finding their mutual interest and use that to your advantage ;)

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems like when there is hatred for a good while, the realistic goal is to get to full toleration, and yes, that can happen. Although a lot of the time, you dont get to 100% full toleration, and there is still some mild displeasure shown if one gets too close to the other or too close while active.

Last time I had to battle through protracted problems, we did get very close to full toleration eventually, and they even played for a minute or two a couple of times. But there was still some mild distaste shown by the older cat when the younger one was too close and/or too active.

I'm sure very very delayed friendship does happen, but I dont remember reading of a specific example. But you said you'd settle for good toleration, and I think thats totally realistic based on the progress you mentioned.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A VERY nice kitty and a huge sign of trust!

"Hey I trust you enough to put my feet up and relax. Maybe only if our human is here right now."

Does he watch Daryl a lot? It's good enrichment for an older cat to have younger cats to observe.