Can Cats Sense Bad People?

jsmith125

Lucifer is my fur baby <3
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten Lucifer, is about 14 weeks old. Yesterday we had a *LOVELY* family member come back from being at work for months; he's a drunk, awnry, asshole and since he's been here acts like he runs the place, complains non stop and so forth. Just ~LOVELY~. I've noticed today since he's been out of the room, Lucifer has been very peculiar about where he goes in the house when this family member is moving around, griping and so forth. He runs off when this family member starts walking in his direction, hides from him, and isn't fully himself until this family member goes back to the bedroom or outside. This person hasn't hit him or harmed him in any way, as I've been keeping a close eye as I will go off if that happens. My question, can cats, even this young, pick up on bad vibes from people? I know dogs can but I've never seen a kitten react this way.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Would a 5-year old child know when Dad comes home drunk?
Why would a cat or a dog be any different? ;)

I grew up in a family with an alcoholic. Our dog, Tyrone, would shy away from Dad when he came home drunk.

I'm not a drinker but I occasionally toss back a couple of cold beers on a hot summer day.

Yes, Casper can tell when I've had a few.
He has always been a skittish cat, especially around men. He doesn't shy away, per se, but he does seem to be somewhat more circumspect.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think cats know when we are angry, hurting, happy, loving, playful, sad, heart broken, calm, hyper or stressed. I also think they know when someone is emotionally unbalanced. I have a roommate with manic depression that my boys will not go near. I don't try to force it. *My room mate has never ever even been slightly mean to them. He is just unbalanced even when on his medications.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They also sense fear and become guarded when someone is afraid of them. I think this is why people who are afraid of cats always have bad stories to tell about cats attacking them. They were probably "attacked" because the cat sensed their fear and felt the need to protect itself.

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think so. I have always believed that cats and dogs can sense things people can't. Cats, I think, are even more intuitive than dogs as they are even more cautious and alert. So it's always best to seem confident when handling/being anywhere near them.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats and dogs have a more acute sense of smell then humans.
Cats have an even better sense of smell than dogs.

If I come inside after having a smoke, Casper will act like, “Eew! Yuck!”

It’s not a far stretch, at all, to think that a cat can smell alcohol on a person’s breath.

Akkino

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cats also avoid people who give them too much attention. Cats dont like to be looked at for too long, and catpeople tend to stare at people's cats when they are at visit ect.
I think they react to how people speak and smell, and facial expressions. If they see, smell, or hear something very unfamiliar they get insecure or maybe spooked.

Alypashong01

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I first got my Persian kitten I was in an abusive relationship. My ex was awful and would get physical my kitten got to the point of attacking him when this happened he sensed and totally knew what was going on he would come sit in the room with me when I would cry he never wanted mommy out of his sight. It finally took him threatening the cat for me to leave. But yes I truly believe animals are very in tune with what is going on in there environment. My ex struggles with addiction and Francis seemed to know when he was messed up. After we split he told me he was going to take me for custody of my cat! This never happened lmao(such an idiot) but yes I strongly believe they can sense bad vibes and bad ppl. Now that I have moved on Franny took to my current boyfriend instantly and I just knew he had to be a good guy now we are both proud cat parents and have even added a kitten to our family

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My kitten Lucifer, is about 14 weeks old. Yesterday we had a *LOVELY* family member come back from being at work for months; he's a drunk, awnry, asshole and since he's been here acts like he runs the place, complains non stop and so forth. Just ~LOVELY~. I've noticed today since he's been out of the room, Lucifer has been very peculiar about where he goes in the house when this family member is moving around, griping and so forth. He runs off when this family member starts walking in his direction, hides from him, and isn't fully himself until this family member goes back to the bedroom or outside. This person hasn't hit him or harmed him in any way, as I've been keeping a close eye as I will go off if that happens. My question, can cats, even this young, pick up on bad vibes from people? I know dogs can but I've never seen a kitten react this way.
Oh yeah, I definitely think so. I always watch my cat when a new human's around.

I don't make a habit of having questionable people come over, but I remember one occassion where she was instantly turned off by someone that I'd only just met when he came over, and knew nothing about (I was living with a roommate, and this was a guy she'd just started dating). The moment he walked into the room she was in, she curled into a ball, ears back, and started shaking. Obviously he hadn't done anything to her. He didn't do anything scary while he was there. She just knew something was off about the guy.

...And a couple months later, he turned out to be a crazy stalker.

Cats know, man. I'm tellin' ya.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Animals seem to be able to sense things that people can't. Cats see through people's acts in a way that other people often can't. If my kitties did not like someone who came over, that person would not be invited back! The cats know!

An exception would be children. My neighbors have a granddaughter that their cats will not be around. She is a sweet child, she just has so much energy that she freaks the kitties out. When the child matures and calms down, I think they will be fine with her.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My question, can cats, even this young, pick up on bad vibes from people? I know dogs can but I've never seen a kitten react this way.
Ive watch a few show of ceasar milano and jackson galaxay....dog and cats experts.

It seems very often, if not usually, when a dog or cat is acting up, its because of vibs they are getting from people in the household. I dont know if the dog or cat can instinctively and immediately tell if a person is good or bad, but I thing they can quickly determine if the person can be trusted by the way others react to that person.